XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice. I have got to give that "wrap" color change a try. Anything I need other than my adjustable 1200 degree heat gun?

Where do you access automotive quality wraps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I have got to give that "wrap" color change a try. Anything I need other than my adjustable 1200 degree heat gun?

Where do you access automotive quality wraps?
I used a regular hairdryer and a cheap squeegee. The wrap is 3m 2080 series g31 color code. Bought it on ebay for around 60$. 1,50m by 1m. Probably enough to do 4 side panels so you'd have another go for each side in case things don't go as planned on the first try. The only tip I would give would be to have another set of hands available as it's sometimes tricky to heat, stretch, apply the wrap when the side panel is off the bike and moving around. Good luck !

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thx amigo, I better go watch some videos, that should put my mind right
Any good sign and sticker shop will carry the material as well. I have my cam chain tensioner stickers printed locally and have done other graphics for KLX250s that were big bore to 330 and 351 along with graphics for a Converse All-Star helmet set and, of course, the ones I will be applying to the KLX.

The 3M product is the best, really flexible and able to stretch and shrink some. The art director at the sign shop said in a seminar he was in they actually wrapped a helmet with one piece.

I am not sure about the benefit of the 3M clear cover fil, on the color material, but it is a must on the printed material, to protect the ink. I've had a couple of my stickers in the back window of my truck, out in the environment 24/7/365 since about six years back. No color fade and no peeling at this point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Any good sign and sticker shop will carry the material as well. I have my cam chain tensioner stickers printed locally and have done other graphics for KLX250s that were big bore to 330 and 351 along with graphics for a Converse All-Star helmet set and, of course, the ones I will be applying to the KLX.

The 3M product is the best, really flexible and able to stretch and shrink some. The art director at the sign shop said in a seminar he was in they actually wrapped a helmet with one piece.

I am not sure about the benefit of the 3M clear cover fil, on the color material, but it is a must on the printed material, to protect the ink. I've had a couple of my stickers in the back window of my truck, out in the environment 24/7/365 since about six years back. No color fade and no peeling at this point.
Thx again, that is just incredible the versatility, and thx for naming 3m the best and when to use clear cover

·
Registered
203 Posts
You vinyl gurus run across anything that looks like a somewhat close shot of the surface of the moon? I could go there for a first try, definitely gonna play this game thanks @Mathmxp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You vinyl gurus run across anything that looks like a somewhat close shot of the surface of the moon? I could go there for a first try, definitely gonna play this game thanks @Mathmxp
I'm hardly a guru.. like you this was my first ever attempt at wrapping anything and to be honest my first thought when I finished was that I would never try to wrap anything else ever again. I do encourage you to try though. You can't really mess up your original paint so why not. In the end I'm still very pleased with the result.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts