XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Has anyone here got any experience of changing the colour of their fuel tank panels they would like to share? I've seen lots of cool custom XSR tanks out there and it seems pretty straight forward as the panels are easy to remove.

The 2 main options seem to be either "wrapping" the panels or hydro dipping (hydrographics / immersion printing). In another post by @bschmitty regarding removal of the Yamaha emblems, he mentioned he was planning to hard anodise them. Not sure that would work as the are plastic?

If anyone has had any success I'd be grateful if the could let me know what method they used and relative cost etc, also pictures!

Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hello all,

Has anyone here got any experience of changing the colour of their fuel tank panels they would like to share? I've seen lots of cool custom XSR tanks out there and it seems pretty straight forward as the panels are easy to remove.

The 2 main options seem to be either "wrapping" the panels or hydro dipping (hydrographics / immersion printing). In another post by @bschmitty regarding removal of the Yamaha emblems, he mentioned he was planning to hard anodise them. Not sure that would work as the are plastic?

If anyone has had any success I'd be grateful if the could let me know what method they used and relative cost etc, also pictures!

Thanks
I've had mine professionally wrapped (cost EU €80 here. Will be more in mainland Europe, UK and USA, I imagine) and am pretty pleased with the results.
The only area that required special attention was the centre (Plastic) panel, around the visible bolt holes.
The side panels (Aluminium) were straight-forward (mine were originally in the Forest Green, so a glossy finish, which provided a good surface for the Vinyl to adhere to. The matte finishes may be a little tougher to work with).

Small things to consider with the wrap are that any details (or flaws) on the tank will be visible (for example on the Green/Red models, the outline of the Yamaha logo and Silver stripes).
This is not a huge issue though, especially if re-adding a logo sticker, of the same size, in the exact same place as the original one.
(The outline of the stripes does not stand out and isn't really a concern.)

Having said that, I've now acquired a spare set of panels and will be getting these professionally painted, once the weather improves and I finalise the colour.

I've had some other pieces painted (especially the few Plastic parts which has some 'grain', which I'm not a fan of), in Satin Black and again, have been pleased with the results and low cost (EU €60 for 4 pieces).

Hydro-dipping seems to really only be viable if you want a (complicated) design on the tank. Not often seeing it done for plain finishes etc.

HTH

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hydro-dipping seems to really only be viable if you want a (complicated) design on the tank. Not often seeing it done for plain finishes etc.

HTH
Hydro-dipping... what is that?
I looked it up and I am mesmerized. So many possibilities for DIY. :smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
To piggyback off this, how much is it to just get new panels, and where do you get them? I want to get the XSR next month but the local dealer only has a plain aluminum model left, which seems a little boring to me. The red 18 color looked nice, and I also liked the forest green color from a few years ago, but when I Google xsr 700 oem parts the panels are $400 for one side, which seems exorbinite to me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
To piggyback off this, how much is it to just get new panels, and where do you get them? I want to get the XSR next month but the local dealer only has a plain aluminum model left, which seems a little boring to me. The red 18 color looked nice, and I also liked the forest green color from a few years ago, but when I Google xsr 700 oem parts the panels are $400 for one side, which seems exorbinite to me.

That's about the going rate (the centre panel, which is made from Plastic rather than Aluminium, is a little cheaper).
The only way to get it for less is keep an eye on ebay and try to piece together a set, although this is not that easy as there's not that many on at any given time and they tend to be a mix of finishes and conditions.
You may be better off considering Vinyl-wrapping.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I removed my tank panels and front fender yesterday, and am having them painted by a local painter. Nothing special, but the removal was easy and I figured I can paint it again if I want, later down the road.

I'll post pics when I get them back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I might be able to help with this.
I previously had my tank panels wrapped and was pretty happy with them (the only problem area really was around the central screw holes).
The Vinyl was in a satin Black by Oracle (more of a semi-matte) and I was happy with it.
However, I recently got the panels professionally painted (at around 3x the cost of the wrapping) and I have to say, by comparison, it looks much much better.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Luimoto is a real quality seat cover, have one on my Honda CB300R. Would probably help eliminate sliding on the stock seat. I'm surprised the non-skid section is the pillion area of the seat, not the rider's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Steak.Sauce Nice looking bike i like the color combo!
Never seen an white xsr700 before.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know I'm going to paint mine, I'm just torn trying to design where I would put yamaha speed blocks. The 60th anniversary edition decal looks fantastic until you put tank grip pads, and I need those pads; scratched the heck out of the knee areas on the stock tank. Even a straight line of speed blocks looks weird if it just gets cut off by a tank grip pad set on top of it. I'll have to mess around a bit.

I am going to seal my tank with that two-stage poly stuff, the sort where you have to crack the can open and not breath in any or your brain melts. Shops that spray it with real guns need o2 breathers. Put that on other bikes and their paint held up through endless gasoline drips and scratches. The fender I smashed in an accident still has lovely paint in the crumpled metal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know I'm going to paint mine, I'm just torn trying to design where I would put yamaha speed blocks. The 60th anniversary edition decal looks fantastic until you put tank grip pads, and I need those pads; scratched the heck out of the knee areas on the stock tank. Even a straight line of speed blocks looks weird if it just gets cut off by a tank grip pad set on top of it. I'll have to mess around a bit.

I am going to seal my tank with that two-stage poly stuff, the sort where you have to crack the can open and not breath in any or your brain melts. Shops that spray it with real guns need o2 breathers. Put that on other bikes and their paint held up through endless gasoline drips and scratches. The fender I smashed in an accident still has lovely paint in the crumpled metal.
I had the same problem. Tank grips were a must, but I wanted the speed block decal. I had a local shop work on a design and this is what I'm rocking now. I can put you in contact with them if you're interested in something similar.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem. Tank grips were a must, but I wanted the speed block decal. I had a local shop work on a design and this is what I'm rocking now. I can put you in contact with them if you're interested in something similar.
Wow that looks amazing. Did they design where the stickers went or did you mock it up in an image program? I assume you had to bring in your tank panels to measure? Yeah I'd like to know what shop designed that, I have some ideas but I cannot edit pictures worth a ****.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow that looks amazing. Did they design where the stickers went or did you mock it up in an image program? I assume you had to bring in your tank panels to measure? Yeah I'd like to know what shop designed that, I have some ideas but I cannot edit pictures worth a ****.
I gave them some ideas, and the lady I worked with went form there. And yes, they are local to me, so I was able to drop my panels off and have them worked on directly. www.namcmopar.com are the people I talked to.

Fair warning! - It ended up costing me about $200 to have them design, custom cut the vinyls, and apply them. They are not the cheapest shop in town, but they worked with me and hopefully they can work with you too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the gray aluminum panels. Took them off and paid a local auto body shop $150 to paint them. They said to just give them the model, year, and paint name of any car with the color I liked and they’d look up the formulation and paint it. Well worth it in my book. Haven’t seen any other blue XSR so far. 🙂

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts