XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Don't know where you get the impression dealers are screwing everyone over. I don't know about the UK, but in the U.S. dealers make less mark up on parts than about any other retailer. I worked in a dealership and saw the numbers. Unless they're huge, the dealers usually are comfortable, but not rich. The ones who really make money are the ones who use the bike dealership as a stepping stone to automobile dealerships.

One Kawasaki dealer I knew didn't make the big money until he got the Nissan dealership and then the Lincoln Mercury dealership. Then he sold off the Kawasaki dealership.

Saw that with a Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership, got in with Honda automobiles, sold off the motorcycle dealership some years later, after opening up Acura, Nissan, Mazda, and a few other dealerships. The money was in the cars. My employer/friend commented he'd have been rich if he had invested in Honda stock instead of buying the dealership, he was right.

In 2010 the dealer where I was buying my gaskets and all was trying to sell and retire. He made a comment that it was hard trying to sell, He said it was hard to get someone interested in working the long hours required of the dealer principle for $60,000 a year. The slump was hard on them. I figure maybe he made a shade over $100,000 in decent years.

Just sayin' we all try to make a living and for whatever reason everyone think motorcycle dealers are making a killing. Been there seen that, they aren't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know where you get the impression dealers are screwing everyone over. I don't know about the UK, but in the U.S. dealers make less mark up on parts than about any other retailer. I worked in a dealership and saw the numbers. Unless they're huge, the dealers usually are comfortable, but not rich. The ones who really make money are the ones who use the bike dealership as a stepping stone to automobile dealerships.

One Kawasaki dealer I knew didn't make the big money until he got the Nissan dealership and then the Lincoln Mercury dealership. Then he sold off the Kawasaki dealership.

Saw that with a Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealership, got in with Honda automobiles, sold off the motorcycle dealership some years later, after opening up Acura, Nissan, Mazda, and a few other dealerships. The money was in the cars. My employer/friend commented he'd have been rich if he had invested in Honda stock instead of buying the dealership, he was right.

In 2010 the dealer where I was buying my gaskets and all was trying to sell and retire. He made a comment that it was hard trying to sell, He said it was hard to get someone interested in working the long hours required of the dealer principle for $60,000 a year. The slump was hard on them. I figure maybe he made a shade over $100,000 in decent years.

Just sayin' we all try to make a living and for whatever reason everyone think motorcycle dealers are making a killing. Been there seen that, they aren't.
I didnt say they were screwing folk over did i🥱all i said was if somebody had sold there bike and had parts left over id rather buy that than line a dealers pocke, so wind ya neck in

·
Registered
614 Posts
I didnt say they were screwing folk over did i🥱all i said was if somebody had sold there bike and had parts left over id rather buy that than line a dealers pocke, so wind ya neck in

Didn't have to, "line pockets" pretty much said it all.

Having worked in sales in a good small/mid size dealership (2 sales people), I kind of get bugged by the whole thing jabbing at dealers and workers at dealerships. I know there are bad ones, but there are a lot of good ones and the business ain't a gold mine. If a bike is sold at full list plus shipping and set up the dealer makes around 17%. That's hardly a fortune. So when you get them to include actual costs now they may be down to 10%. This doesn't include any of the floor plan costs when they stock bikes on the floor.

As you see, it isn't a gold mine after all. I will point that out when I can. If you want cheap go Chinese, they don't have any actual dealers for most of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts