XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For those who have upgraded the rear shock, why did you do it and have you noticed the moneys worth of benefits from it.

for those who havent, why havent you and do you plan to?

TIA

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got a great buy on a virtually new Ohlins shock. Seems I don't really notice anything from the rear suspension a majority of the time on rougher pavement, so that has to be a plus. It was sprung for my weight so no cost beyond just the initial purchase of around 1/2 price. I figure this is my bike for the forseeable future so why not get good suspension. Still need to set it up as it should be done.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi,

For those who have upgraded the rear shock, why did you do it and have you noticed the moneys worth of benefits from it.

for those who havent, why havent you and do you plan to?

TIA
For the way I am currently riding stock is fine. Things change then We will see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Yamaha dealer had an XSR700 with Öhlins (front and back) which I took out for about 5-6 hours and while there is certainly a noticeable improvement (especially in the front, at higher lean angles) personally I didn't think it was worth the price tag.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't plan too. If I was committed to this bike for 10 years I would up spec the suspension, brakes, tires. Maybe even get another exhaust after all those.

But I've had the bike for, this is my third season, and put 3800 miles on it, looking to ride for this season and one more. So getting another bike, that stock, will have up spec'd suspension and brakes and tires in Spring 2023. At the miles I put I'll be at around 6-7k miles by Spring 2023. I may need some Michelin Power5 or Road5 tires before then, but I may make it to 2023 without needing that.

In summary, I would up spec my tires before the suspension, in fact I have the rear suspension one click away from softest and it's fine. Felt way better cranking it softer. I weigh 190 lbs with all my gear on, I wear a lot of gear.

From the dealer the suspension was on close to stiffest and the ride was abrupt.

I don't ride track days, but I do let it hang out a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts