1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Picking up an xsr700 next week,
im 6'2 and around 95kg,

what will i have to sort/replace? i see people complaining of its softness.
will i be fine on stock parts?

im a fairly new rider so im not looking for something thatll be super fine tuned to get me round a track or anything just yet.

thanks
Tom

·
Registered
492 Posts
Try it and see if you like it first. Don't take others' word for the situation, since it is up to the rider's own opinion at the start. Now if you were experienced and found reason, then you upgrade.

I've ridden for near 50 years now and I've only upgraded two street bikes I've owned, putting fork springs in my 83 Gold Wing back when and in my 90 Zephyr 550, both being known for having the fork springs sack out, losing about half the travel - which they did. I went to Progressive fork springs, based on recommendation and reputation.

My XSR is the first bike I am actually going all out on suspension, mostly because I can afford it and figure "why not?" I've done a couple thousand miles and the suspension is fairly decent. I weigh in around 10 kg less than you (200 lb vs 209 lb). It is not so much the springs that I may find being of benefit, but rather the damping. I am hoping for a smooth but solid ride, maybe some improvement I may feel in the cornering capability when I push it a bit.

But most of all it isn't so much the need as my desire to try it. So I sum up by saying ride the bike and see if you feel you need a change. I honestly probably don't need the change, but can afford to try it out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
understood, thanks for that.

like you say being new, i probably wouldn't be able to tell if the suspension was good or not so sticking with it and learning on it is probably the best option it seems until it breaks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
From the FZ07 forum there was some information from a Dave Moss video about the FZ suspension which is similar to the XSR, but the earlier FZ had softer damping and, I think, springs in the forks. There was information on doing some tuning, also a comment on the rear shock to the effect that it is reasonable for hard riding for several thousand miles. His comment was if one wants to ride on the cheap to buy relatively new shocks from riders who went to better shocks, because the price of the used would have to be low buck.

Do a search on Dave Moss tuning FZ07 and you can find the videos. Don't be alarmed with the one about "the fatal flaw", it isn't fatal in the bad sense for the rider, but rather the flaw in the suspension making it not so good as is.

Check it out, learn a bit before you do go blow the big bucks... unless you just plain have the money to spend and you do plan to keep the bike for the long run. That was my case. I got the bike I wanted, having looked at all the stuff coming out for the past 20 years, and I figure it's my keeper. I tend to land on specific bikes I like and keep them.

Have fun and figure out what you need over some time. Ride safely.

·
Registered
609 Posts
From the FZ07 forum there was some information from a Dave Moss video about the FZ suspension which is similar to the XSR, but the earlier FZ had softer damping and, I think, springs in the forks. There was information on doing some tuning, also a comment on the rear shock to the effect that it is reasonable for hard riding for several thousand miles. His comment was if one wants to ride on the cheap to buy relatively new shocks from riders who went to better shocks, because the price of the used would have to be low buck.

Do a search on Dave Moss tuning FZ07 and you can find the videos. Don't be alarmed with the one about "the fatal flaw", it isn't fatal in the bad sense for the rider, but rather the flaw in the suspension making it not so good as is.

Check it out, learn a bit before you do go blow the big bucks... unless you just plain have the money to spend and you do plan to keep the bike for the long run. That was my case. I got the bike I wanted, having looked at all the stuff coming out for the past 20 years, and I figure it's my keeper. I tend to land on specific bikes I like and keep them.

Have fun and figure out what you need over some time. Ride safely.
I'll second that as I was one of the guys talking about the Dave Moss videos. They are really meant for the more aggressive/track day rider than a new rider or someone who is less concerned about taking it to the limit. I did some of the stuff Moss talks about but it's not a big deal. Ride your bike a while then decide what you want to change. You may find out you like it as is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you never ridden a supersport with some fancy suspension you certainly will find the stock suspension good.
And its all up to what you compare the bike against, the xsr is way better than older streetbikes except of some that were given supersport suspension.
Probably better than most custom bikes to.

I'm 97kg right now and I like the stock for what it is. I can feel and understand track day people that takes it to the limit but for the price of the bike it's ok.
I actually think that the forks perform well on the streets but the rear shock is the first to lack in performance, showing the most riding 2up in sweeping corners with uneven surface.
It cant really handle the rebound and starting to jump up and down. I counted to three compression jumps after the initial road bump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Picking up an xsr700 next week,
im 6'2 and around 95kg,

what will i have to sort/replace? i see people complaining of its softness.
will i be fine on stock parts?

im a fairly new rider so im not looking for something thatll be super fine tuned to get me round a track or anything just yet.

thanks
Tom
Hey Tom, we are the same weight and height. I’m riding a stock 2019 XSR and no complaints. I think you should put a few hundred miles on it and see how it feels
Best Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts