XSR 700 Forums banner

Sump Guard

12K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  EricV 
#1 ·
I love my XSR but all these scrambler designs have no sump guard (bash plate), one short ride on a gravel or stony road could put a nice big hole in the engine cases (big bucks!)....my question is...does anybody know of a company that is making an effective bash plate?

#2 ·
I want to refresh this discussion. I've seen some like @gnarlydog manufacture their own carbon fibre bash plate (somewhat out of my reach), and others suggest the now out-of-stock Ibex engine guard for the mt-07, however I am now at a loss.

Hepco & Becker do a sump guard for the xsr900 but is >£200 and don't know if it would fit an XSR700.

SW Motech do an engine guard for the mt09 that apparently fits the XSR700 but is fugly and looks like it would catch on a rut rather than bounce off one!

Any suggestions or examples from people?

#4 ·
I want to refresh this discussion. I've seen some like @gnarlydog manufacture their own carbon fibre bash plate (somewhat out of my reach), and others suggest the now out-of-stock Ibex engine guard for the mt-07, however I am now at a loss.
while a composite bashplate might look exotic a simple one made out of a sheet of 3mm aluminium would do the same job. If you have some kind of way of cutting one out (jig-saw, nibbler or angel grinder) then a simple bend up front it's all is needed for a basic bash-plate. I have mine now attached with high-temp silicone directly to the sump. A thin layer over its surface ensures it stays put.

#6 · (Edited)
What do people think of this:
https://bit.ly/38OalaE

Could add a sheet to the bottom as a sump guard. I like the idea of using silicon to glue on a small cover, but can't figure out a way to also protect the oil filter sticking out the front like it's daring a rock to make a mess of it!

Attachments

#9 ·
Most, if not all street bikes are sans any means of sump protections, mainly because they weren't meant for terrain that might threaten those engine parts. However, even most off-road or adventure bikes have pretty flimsy excuses for bash plates. Most that are worth anything come from the non-OEM market and cost appropriately. I've been a street guy for a long, long time and rarely even take a dirt road if I don't have to and I've never had an issue screwing up an oil pan or any other part of the lower end. I'm pretty frugal and the though of a new crankcase just isn't in the works for me. They do make some pretty good bikes for off-roading though. A few bikes ago I had a 650 V-Strom which was designated as an Adventure bike but from what I saw, almost all the owners very rarely ventured off the blacktop and they were a really good street bike.

#12 ·
I might be in the minority here but I think the XSR and the MT07 were developed for the road, and maybe dirt roads too but serious off-roading is probably not what Yamaha was thinking. They have other models obviously meant to handle that stuff better. As a few other guys have done, if you're serious about making it safe for doing rock climbing you have to build something yourself that you feel will ward off the demons.

#13 ·
update:
The carbon bashplate failed!
An embedded rock that had a really pointy bit sticking out of the grass put a nice hole in the sump. It was a bit of a drama to recover my bike from an area that had no mobile coverage :-(

Looking at the design and execution of my bashplate I realized it was bit under-engineered: the carbon does jack shit but looking bling
So I now have replicated that design but used way more Kevlar (7 layers) and one of steel. It should last a bit better.

Unless one wants to go all out with a massive skid plate like on the Tenere700 the XSR will remain just marginally suitable for dirt roads and occasional bumpy track.
The sticking point is ground clearance, which I am now trying to address on mine with fork extensions and adjustable length shock

#16 ·
Hi,

I want to share my new bashplate. I bought it off of ebay and have to say it's very well made and is durable at 4mm alluminum. The only downside is the installation instruction is lacking, but it's pretty easy to figure out how to install it regardless.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Sky

#18 ·
Hello;
I like the look of your XSR 7 bashplate. Before I source one I had a few questions.
How is it standing up to actual use ? (ie: Have you given it a proper work out ?)
Are the braces that attach it to the frame strong enough or would you recommend fabricating heavier ones ?
How much does it reduce ground clearance ?
It looks like it impedes access to the oil drain plug and filter. Is it reasonably quick to drop the bashplate before you drop the oil ?
Thank You in advance for your reply, V.I.

#19 ·
Hopefully @Cvfactor will come back and let us know what he thinks of his skid plate. I found another option, at least for US riders from Trex Racing - LINK Certainly more heavy duty and more coverage of the exhaust, both up front and underneath. I'm liking the removable section for oil/filter changes. Not liking the price, but it's reasonable for what you're getting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.