XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I´m planning a roadtrip to Spain Pyrenees (and some France maybe?).
Well, the truth is i´m not going to plan it very much.
The premise is to sleep hidden in the countryside and campings, when I need to charge electronics and have a decent shower.
I want to do a kind of film of the trip that I will upload on youtube.
I will carry two 13L panniers and a 40L waterproof bag.

It´s my first trip on a motorcycle so will see where it leads, I hope I can survive at least 3 days. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
You go for it dude. Let us have the link when you eventually post the movie. Wish I had your spirit of adventure. When are you going?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You go for it dude. Let us have the link when you eventually post the movie. Wish I had your spirit of adventure. When are you going?
I´m waiting for the new helmet to arrive for start the trip so, probably on late June or early July.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi guys, I´m planning a roadtrip to Spain Pyrenees (and some France maybe?).
Well, the truth is i´m not going to plan it very much.
The premise is to sleep hidden in the countryside and campings, when I need to charge electronics and have a decent shower.
I want to do a kind of film of the trip that I will upload on youtube.
I will carry two 13L panniers and a 40L waterproof bag.

It´s my first trip on a motorcycle so will see where it leads, I hope I can survive at least 3 days. :D
Sounds epic. I look forward to watching the YouTube adventure!! Me and my partner toured through Belgium and France and it was one of our best holidays ever! Good luck dude!! :grin2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'll be rooting for you then from this point on then. Of course I'll be a little green with envy.

I have a mate who keeps going on about us doing route 66, which is a fantastic, thought though comical as he has a 125 vespa on L plates. We are gently trying to justify the cost of the test to his wife. to very little avail at the moment. Who knows, it may well happen on day................

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be rooting for you then from this point on then. Of course I'll be a little green with envy.

I have a mate who keeps going on about us doing route 66, which is a fantastic, thought though comical as he has a 125 vespa on L plates. We are gently trying to justify the cost of the test to his wife. to very little avail at the moment. Who knows, it may well happen on day................
I have that in mind too, but I will start from something small like my thing of the pyrenees. Then maybe going around Italy or France.
It may sound weird but EEUU is one of the most frightening countries to me (with that thing of guns), at least in the north hemisphere.

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Well done, Artorius. Looks like a great trip and some nice video editing too. Hopefully it'll inspire others to get touring on their XSRs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well done, Artorius. Looks like a great trip and some nice video editing too. Hopefully it'll inspire others to get touring on their XSRs.
Sure! I have to say I had no problem at all. The only concerns was the wind (no wind shield) and maybe a bit of pain in the ass (literally haha) because of the +300km routes.
I also missed a tank bag for carrying things more on hand.

The bike felt good overall, I even "reduced" the hero pegs length by scraping them to the tarmac, while carrying 20kg of luggage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I finished the trip. It took me 12 days around Spain, Gibraltar, Portugal and France. Here is a video of some footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoDTKJ1XS7Q
Looks really cool Artorius. It has definitely given me some ideas of what I want to do once I get my XSR. Although I think taking a trip like this is a little far off. I want to make sure I'm completely comfortable and self dependent with my XSR enough to do that. Once again, great job, you inspired me :cool:

·
Super Moderator
619 Posts
Sheepskin seat cover and tank bag

Agree about the lack of wind protection. I did a couple of 5hr rides recently - I use a sheepskin cover on the seat, held in place with a webbing belt, which is really cheap but is very comfortable. I also use a tank bag, with a protective mat under it, and fixed with straps. I haven't had any issues with scuffing the tank. The lack of screen was only really an issue at high speed on motorways, but they're best avoided (where possible).

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Artorius you adventurous fellow you. I’ve not been around for a while and have just watched your video. Utterly awesome dude. What a trip. Wish I had your spirit of adventure. Thanks for sharing the film mate, well worth watching.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Artorius you adventurous fellow you. I’ve not been around for a while and have just watched your video. Utterly awesome dude. What a trip. Wish I had your spirit of adventure. Thanks for sharing the film mate, well worth watching.
Thanks glad you liked it!
Hope I will have the opportunity to do another trip like that again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Artorius!

Really cool and inspiring video, I've been wanting to do something like this forever...
I'm based in Lisbon so I could do a route very similar to yours.

Mind if I ask some questions?
Can you tell more about your bags setup? On the video, @ 2min40 seconds I see you have a lot of stuff. Are those the sw-motech side bags? Were you able to lock everything when you weren't around the bike (I'm really afraid that people steal my stuff :( )

Could you give a couple more details on your route? (do you have a gpx file?)

Thanks for sharing the video!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi Artorius!

Really cool and inspiring video, I've been wanting to do something like this forever...
I'm based in Lisbon so I could do a route very similar to yours.

Mind if I ask some questions?
Can you tell more about your bags setup? On the video, @ 2min40 seconds I see you have a lot of stuff. Are those the sw-motech side bags? Were you able to lock everything when you weren't around the bike (I'm really afraid that people steal my stuff :( )

Could you give a couple more details on your route? (do you have a gpx file?)

Thanks for sharing the video!
Of course!
Yeah those are SW motech bags 13.5 liters + a waterproof 50L bag attached with two straps in to the side racks.
I was also afraid of thieves, so I dismounted everything in the campings and left the stuff inside the tent with the disc brake lock (with alarm) in the zippers of the tent, so if anyone moves the tent it will pop the alarm. Then I moved to do tourism leaving the things there.

Theres also the option of buying or making a steel net with a lock, wrapping the panniers with it.
But i´ll recommend going solid cases with keylock if u are planning more trips in the future, for simplicity.

The only time I left the things on the bike was on that moment of the video (2:40), if I´m not wrong. I put the alarm on a strap so it will pop as well if someone touches the stuff, but also the bike was parked in a very quiet village.

I´m sorry I don´t have any gpx file but I used the App "ViaMichelin" using the picturesque (I think is the traduction) in route settings, and avoiding highways.

If you or anyone have questions I will be glad to help, cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts