XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been reading lots of stuff from this forum as well as watching some YouTube vids. I have also sat on an xsr700 and found very comfortable but, was not able to test ride as yet.
So, would someone please advise if the xsr700 is the type of bike that you sit "on" or sit "in"? Not sure if that makes sense.
Based on pictures I've seen the rider is perched on the seat which would mean it's a bike that you sit "on".

Also, does the xsr700 have an abrupt throttle or a more tame one?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
271 Posts
sit on-ish? lol. Not sit in, but you do feel one with it pretty quickly. Abrupt throttle? no, not really. If you don't have large hands you'll want to replace the stock hand levers with adjustable levers, that will give you better throttle control. It doesn't need ride modes to tame the bike down (like the 900). It's all around good fun and you understand the limits after 1,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’d say it’s more of a ride on than a ride in position but very comfortable. People often get lower/more forward handlebars to make it more aggressive.
It depends on experience of where you are coming from in terms of it being a tame throttle. The bike has immediate low end torque available which makes it a ton of fun to ride. People often put an R6 throttle tube on to liven it up with a shorter throttle throw but even with the R6 throttle tube I’d say it’s still tame, it doesn’t transform it into a liter bike. 1st and 2nd gear will power wheelie it you slam the throttle open.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would say it is a standard motorcycle seating along the lines of the 80s-90s standards, pegs not too far back or forward and bars not too low nor high. From there you tailor it for what you want. Watch the Motorcyclist commute video, I think that is the best descriptive review, including the wheelie when he leaves a stop a bit aggressively, you can see about 6" of air under the wheel in the shadow to the front of the bike and Zack giggles like a school girl.

I didn't ride one before I bought the one I got, but have no regrets. It's a strong fun ride with incredible customization capabilities with the way they built it. I have three seats that latch on with the stock keyed latch; the OEM seat, the Yamaha solo saddle (very comfortable for me), and a flat track type seat/tail. Working on graphics and some more custom stuff that wouldn't be near as easy on any other bike.

Bars are tubular type so there are a couple dozen bends that will work on it.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
My 2020 throttle was twitchy as hell. Tuner definitely helped. I can still pop wheelies with little effort but only if I'm trying to. My ride home from the dealer was an unintentional wheelie fest before tuner. Still... love this bike. I'd buy it all over again. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Only in inexperienced riders find throttle twitchy, mine is a 2018 and not twitchy at all. Having riden 80's bikes, I find the seating position standard with a bit of sporty lean. Bike is smooth and nimble. Can do anything you want it too and easy to do custom work.
Cheers

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wouldn't say just inexperienced riders. Like any bike, it takes time to get the feel for the throttle. I've got a couple decades experience and the first few times I was sketchy with the throttle and clutch. Part was getting used to a strong engine (as is one of the big pluses in every test) and, for me, the long clutch lever reach. I went to shorter dog leg levers virtually immediately. If they had put an adjustable reach clutch lever I would have been better.

Now I have no problem doing whatever I want, starting out easy and slow in traffic or pulling aggressively away from a stop (aka catching a bit of air with the front tire). I am not a big wheelie person, but rather I like skimming the front wheel on the road a bit off and on. Sometimes I'm clunky on shifting, but can snap through making it sound like the bike has an automatic transmission with a small effort. Really depends on how I do it myself, but there are smoother transmissions in other bikes. My 83 standard Gold Wing was worse, my Nighthawk S was better. Ya just learn to work with what you got.

Some choose to reflash the ECU, which is fine, others don't, which is fine. There is no fault in going either way. If you like the bike, you do what suits you.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Only in inexperienced riders find throttle twitchy, mine is a 2018 and not twitchy at all. Having riden 80's bikes, I find the seating position standard with a bit of sporty lean. Bike is smooth and nimble. Can do anything you want it too and easy to do custom work.
Cheers
I’m not an inexperienced rider by any means. 25 years. I’m more comparing the stock XSR7 throttle response to my previous sport bike, Monster 797. That immediate power was very surprising, but I was laughing and woo hooing the whole ride home. Lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
The XSR700 is a mid-sized sport bike in UJM clothing. I've had both the MT07 (actually an FZ07) and the XSR. From a personal view I like the XSR because it reminds me of my younger motorcycle days. It has plenty of punch for the street and could be modified quite cheaply for a track bike is that was your desire. I've had a couple bikes with very twitchy throttles (my 2008 FZ1 was one) and I don't feel the XSR should be referred to as having a quick or twitchy throttle. It's just plain a very good bike.

·
Registered
271 Posts
And if you want no abrupt throttle and be able to always ride a bike like you stole it, the MT-03 is 35HP 19 lb ft of torque at 321 cc. The XSR700 is double that (and then some) and sometimes, yea, you need to be sensitive to how much throttle you are giving. That's cool though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,
I've been reading lots of stuff from this forum as well as watching some YouTube vids. I have also sat on an xsr700 and found very comfortable but, was not able to test ride as yet.
So, would someone please advise if the xsr700 is the type of bike that you sit "on" or sit "in"? Not sure if that makes sense.
Based on pictures I've seen the rider is perched on the seat which would mean it's a bike that you sit "on".

Also, does the xsr700 have an abrupt throttle or a more tame one?

Thanks in advance
Hey there, agree with slot of what's been said. I've done 1200kms on mine and love it. Looks amazing, zippy 650 cc. My last bike was a SV650 and I really laboured deciding between the two. I could still go either way. Issue to consider: 1. Suspension may need changing. This is disappointing if i consider I have a $1500 mountain bicycle with adjustable load and rebound but my $12,000 XSR700 doesn't. 2. Seating position is very upright with little flex due to short wheelbase. Sv650 is much more comfortable. 3. SV 650 has 23 more HP and costs less. Was a super_reliable bike, but I have no reason to expect the Tammie won't be. Hope that helps. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
......2. Seating position is very upright with little flex due to short wheelbase. Sv650 is much more comfortable. 3. SV 650 has 23 more HP and costs less.....
Yes, the SV650 is more of a 'sit in' position - though the seat is very thin and knees more bent than on the XSR. I found my SV650 less comfortable than the XSR for that reason, though I preferred its engine, clutch and gearbox to the XSR's. Power is almost identical - except in Australia where the XSR is the 48bhp LAMS restricted version.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, the SV650 is more of a 'sit in' position - though the seat is very thin and knees more bent than on the XSR. I found my SV650 less comfortable than the XSR for that reason, though I preferred its engine, clutch and gearbox to the XSR's. Power is almost identical - except in Australia where the XSR is the 48bhp LAMS restricted version.
Stop it, TJ. You're making me all teary about our missing HP down-under. I could spend all day on the SV650. A couple of hours on the XSR and I was getting coxxis pain. Had to adjust my seating position and ordered an air hawk cushion.....yep! Old fart!

BG, you need to ride the bike before you buy it. Insist. Don't let them tell you it's like the MT/FZ 07. It isn't!
Good luck and let us know what you decided.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep, I agree.
PS: I changed the bars this week to a low-rise. Big difference to riding position and easier on the lower back. I recon this is a must-do mod.

·
Registered
271 Posts
6 months down the line, what did you choose?
his only posts ever were here, nothing new, I am guessing he decided on something else, but, it is winter in Canada still so maybe he is still looking. No need to purchase anything until March at the earliest. Roads are still a salty mess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts