XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So basically my torque wrench is scrap. Replaced my oil on my bike this morning. Like many times before - although not on this bike... however my torque wrench did not pop at the correct torque, so I have over tightened the sump plug and stripped the thread in the sump.

I know I should have paid more attention instead of just waiting for the torque wrench to pop at 43nm where it was set, but we are where we are.

Any experience with helical thread inserts or sump thread repair kits? Any advice really?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've used them before with success but your biggest problem is the location you're working with. It would be pretty difficult to repair those threads in the location. I probably would pull the motor so I'd have a much better chance at getting the hole drilled straight and then the new threads correctly installed. Might be even better to replace the sump pan. I know it's a drag but do you want it done right?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I looked up the price of a Helicoil kit and just that and you're about 40% into the cost of a new pan. Kinda a no-brainer really and with a new pan you know it's not going to leak or give you any problems with the coil coming out the first time you do another oil change.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi all,

So basically my torque wrench is scrap. Replaced my oil on my bike this morning. Like many times before - although not on this bike... however my torque wrench did not pop at the correct torque, so I have over tightened the sump plug and stripped the thread in the sump.

I know I should have paid more attention instead of just waiting for the torque wrench to pop at 43nm where it was set, but we are where we are.

Any experience with helical thread inserts or sump thread repair kits? Any advice really?
it happened to me as well. Ordered a new one and replaced it.simple

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

Is that the correct torque for the Sump plug? That's almost 31 ft. Lbs, seems excessive for a sump plug, even on a Chevy...!
I typically chuck a bolt of the same size in the vice and test the wrench first. I also store the wrench at minimal setting at room temp between use. When's the last time you had it calibrated?
G.

·
Registered
20 Posts
**Wow, I just looked up the manual spec on this and it sure appears to be correct at 31 Ft. Pounds, I would question this, typo?? I've ridden for 1/2 a century and never set one that tight on anything. My Toyota Tacoma was 29 ft. lbs and it always made me wince when torqueing, I always made sure the threads were dry in order to not push the issue. Good luck.
G.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've looked at the sump and helocoil kits and decided, as the main consensus is, to replace the entire pan. Next question - any way I can find the model number for my bike as its rubbed off the sticker and in my infinite wisdom I did not record it in the hand book.

I ask because there seems to be 2 different part numbers for the sump pan (oil strainer assembly cover)

1WS134000000 and BU3E34000000

as such the gasket part number changes as well.

Any help is appreciated as always and I'd rather order the parts before stripping it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've looked at the sump and helocoil kits and decided, as the main consensus is, to replace the entire pan. Next question - any way I can find the model number for my bike as its rubbed off the sticker and in my infinite wisdom I did not record it in the hand book.

I ask because there seems to be 2 different part numbers for the sump pan (oil strainer assembly cover)

1WS134000000 and BU3E34000000

as such the gasket part number changes as well.

Any help is appreciated as always and I'd rather order the parts before stripping it down.
Should probably clarify my bike is a 2019 model so I think its the latter number - BU3E etc but I'd like to be certain

·
Registered
38 Posts
New_Nut, to confirm the part number BU3E etc. is correct, you need to confirm that your bike is a 2019 model.

Go to - Parts Catalogue

Click on 'Parts Catalogue', 'I Agree', 'Motorcycles & Scooters', then enter your VIN. This should show your Model Year & Model Type Code.

Then if you go to - Motorcycle Parts From Europe’s Number 1 - MSP you can use the Model Year and Model Type Code to confirm the part number.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a follow-up on this, I'm over on the T7 Tenere site a bit, evidently the drain plug torque setting is too high, Yamaha has contacted, check with them for a revised setting. Perhaps the OP can get Yamaha to pick up the bill on repairs.
G.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts