XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Just picked up my brand new XSR700 a few weeks ago and i'm not sure if it's got an issue or not.

Within the first 60 miles of riding it I heard what I can only describe a a rattle or when a washer is loose on a bar, coming from low down on the bike, particularly when easing off the throttle. It isn't so obvious when accelerating. It also doesn't seem to change pitch with revs, ie it's something on the bike when moving that is not affected by engine speed.

I took it to my local Yamaha dealer at around 100 miles and they said the chain had stretched, albeit prematurely. Another 50 miles in and the noise is still there so if was the chain then it's stretched again and if not I am at a loss? I am not sure whether this is normal, or the bike 'bedding in'.

As a new rider it's hard to know what's normal and what's not but the MT07 I passed my test on didn't seem to do this from what I can remember.

The bike is still new so is in it's running in period. I want to get it to its first service quickly but this noise doesn't exactly fill me with confidence for riding!

Thanks all for any help.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
633 Posts
I highly doubt the problem has anything to do with chain stretch, mainly because these chains take a long time to show any appreciable stretch and they have quite a bit of play to begin with. It more than likely is a loose nut or bolt somewhere. In any event you can easily check your chain for the amount of free-play so you can eliminate that issue. Just go around, over and under the bike and check for anything that seems to be loose. If you can't find anything and the dealer can't either, just document the facts and ride.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi dude, a lot of guys have complained about a similar sound. There was a recall to do with the bolt holding the chain guard in place. An insert was popped in for the chain guard bolt to tighten onto against the frame, as apparently it could come loose and drop out. The result of the insert was that it left a slight space for the chain guard to slide around on. Only a tiny gap, but enough to produce the rattling sound that you can probably hear. Have a check to see if there’s some movement there. Worth checking the bolt isn’t loose too, just in case to tick all the boxes. If the bolt is tight, it’s normal for the chain guard to move a little as mentioned above. Worth checking and from what I’ve heard, it sound like the most likely culprit. All the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That’s really useful, at least I am not worried as much. Just ridden 30 miles this morning and the fact that it does the same noise regardless of speed, revs, in gear or out of gear means that it would seem likely. Is there a quick DIY fix? Quick question- I can feel very light vibration through the footpegs particularly when decelerating. Is this normal? Thanks all

·
Registered
312 Posts
I put a rubber washer behind the top mounting screw (between the screw head and the spacer). Keeps it tight and vibration free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts