XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
877C2264-25BC-46EB-895A-BFAD4F899155.jpeg

I installed StompGrip tank pads today. I ordered an LCD flip kit for my dash as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Plz let us know what you think after some ride time. I used some skateboard tape to make a test grip, about a 2 1/2" circle yesterday. It will have to go, grit will chew up riding pants, but will give me an idea of minimalist effective size. Looking at DIY materials

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used them on other bikes and loved them.They were more needed on my Hayabusa.
The tank is so wide, your legs are farther spread, and it's harder to grip.
This pair was the called "Street Vintage" clear, volcano.
I later noticed thier fit chart recommends the "Rally" shape for XSR700.
They are VERY similar to these.
They were on eBay quite cheap, about $24.
The clear ones are a bit tricky to get "near perfect".
Clean all surfaces, warm the pad & surface (heat gun on low), as hot as comfortable (with bare hands),
peel backing slowly, and rub down one row at a time, as you peel.
I would have gotten the OEM Yamaha black ones, but they are over $100, and you have to ship them from overseas.
I couldn't find a US distributor that carries them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This pair was the called "Street Vintage" clear, volcano.
I later noticed thier fit chart recommends the "Rally" shape for XSR700.
They are VERY similar to these.
They were on eBay quite cheap, about $24.
Thx, I did not find anything for Rally around $24, more around $56, that's a bit too $$$ for plastic that costs pennies to injection mold, so I'm still looking for DIY materials. Best candidate was skateboard tape (rubberized), I use 60 grit skate tape on special "tools" and it sticks well when applied to most surfaces using a heat gun, have not used "rubberized skate tape" but will post if I find anything useful after I run this idea out

·
Registered
226 Posts
View attachment 26117
I installed StompGrip tank pads today. I ordered an LCD flip kit for my dash as well.
That clear "Volcano" pattern looks exactly right if you want to get a grip without stupid levels of discomfort - nice find on ebay at $24, thank you RaszB ! I will play around with this from the DIY angle but will likely land on your recommendation - thx amigo

·
Registered
544 Posts
@Pursuvant, did you consider contacting a sign making shop to see if they have any kind of "grippy" vinyl adhesive material? I'm betting there is something like that.

Here is one from a quick search - GatorSkinz for $20 a big chunk click here cut the size wanted.

I'd definitely recommend checking a sign shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts