XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from France.

I would like to know if anyone of you are happy with the stock exhaust ?
There's just no sound at all coming from it and it's no that beautiful, i know..
I'd love to buy a new one, but can't afford it right now so i just have to accept it. It could be easier to live with it i had good reviews from you guys. I'm sure that a lot of you bought the xsr with the stock exhaust, since the akra that yamaha sells are sooooo f***ing expensive ! but maybe some of you are just ok with that !

Thanks in advance everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Actually the exhaust looks pretty good in person and many non-Motorbike people I showed photos of the XSR700 with various exhausts fitted, when I was trying to choose one myself, preferred the stock unit over almost all of the after-market ones.
The main issue with it isn't necessarily that it's quiet but rather with the tone. It really does sound like a slight angry sewing machine (at least at around town revs/speed), which is fine for scooters but not 'big boy bikes'.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Visually, I think it's pretty good. I like the graceful curves on the downpipes and the short stubby end cover sits neatly on the bike. I painted my cover black which enhances it as well. But, if only there was a decent sound - something a bit deeper, so it sounds like a proper bike rather than a 125cc scooter. I can't justify the ludicrous price of Yamaha's optional Ackrapovic system, though there are lots of cheaper alternatives out there (and endless discussion of their merits in this forum!). What a pity that Yamaha's engineers couldn't come up with a better sound at the design stage - it's not that difficult to achieve!

Reactions: Kawaist

·
Registered
26 Posts
Swamped mine right away.
Well ...not really.... I had ordered the bike with the Akrapo but the guys didn´t have any in stock so I rode it with the stock for a couple of weeks. The rider ears a nice muffled sound with some crackles but you´re the only one earing any sound at all.
As soon as I changed (I asked for them to remove the dB killer too) I got a proper scare ....I mean, I thought I´ld rattle my house foundations every morning...but no ...now it sounds just like angels singing (my version of it anyway) and now I notice how pitiful the welding seems of the OEM were.
I like the look (a bit better) and sound (not as good) of the SC too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don’t like the look or sound of the stock exhaust - that box under the engine is so ugly!

But I’ll keep it because to change it to something with a decent sound is too expensive, especially if you add a new fuel map!

I thought it was better to replace that awful Yamaha rear shock with a Nitron NTR R1 shock, much more ‘bang for the buck’.

Brian

·
Registered
130 Posts
I personally think the stock exhaust is the most beautiful one you could ever apply on an XSR 700.
The problem is that it is really really too silent, and also too "lightly-booming".
I personally think that akrapovic, sc project, and all the (nearly infinite!) custom exhausts that are available will surely offer you a better and more "powerful" sound, but I really don't like any of their look. Sadly, I couldn't find a way to keep the stock look while increasing the bike's voice! :)

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I personally think the stock exhaust is the most beautiful one you could ever apply on an XSR 700.
Sadly, I couldn't find a way to keep the stock look while increasing the bike's voice! :)
There are folk who've drilled a few holes straight into the box, on MT-07s and XSRs, just above and below the final outlet pipe. Seems a bit drastic to me but it is a cheap way of deepening the exhaust note. Not sure if it would impact on performance by changing backflow pressure in the system.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are folk who've drilled a few holes straight into the box, on MT-07s and XSRs, just above and below the final outlet pipe. Seems a bit drastic to me but it is a cheap way of deepening the exhaust note. Not sure if it would impact on performance by changing backflow pressure in the system.
Yeah I've heard / read about that... It probably would work but I'm surely not going to do that kind of "customization" to my bike ahahahah I'd feel so bad during the drilling, and I'd be too scared of doing something wrong! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
My XSR had a Tec exhaust fitted when I bought it, without a baffle. I fitted Tec's 6 hole baffle and rode it for 3 weeks, it was less loud, but still too loud for me, and I suspect for others around me.
As the original exhaust also came with the bike, it cost me nothing to give it a try.
The bike is startlingly quiet with it in place, almost as quiet as a Very Quiet Thing (otherwise known as a Honda) that I had before. but I have got used to it and deffinitely actualy enjoy riding the bike more in its quietened state than I did with the Tec exhaust.
I also agree that the original is a very nicely styled thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
OEM Looks good, sounds pants.

Swapping to aftermarket made it sound like a bike should. No need for a remap - on mine at least.

Wouldn't go back...

·
Registered
187 Posts
In my view I can hardly stand to look at the poorly welded chunk of metal under the bike as stock. For me the only appealing options were the original SC-Project Conic exhaust, the Tec Exhaust, or the Zard exhaust. As the Zard comes EU4 ready and won't blow out my eardrums, I'm waiting for that one now ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine came with hi - leval akra pipe installed and for sure I would struggle to justify spending such a massive amount of money on a exhaust.
But every time I ride the bike I'm so happy it is there. And truth be told half the price because you could sell it on in a instant for 50% of the price you paid.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not keen on the stock exhaust. It's about the only thing I don't like about the XSR700. I did fit a TEC exhaust, which looks nice (pic1) and although it also sounded nice as a bystander it was too loud to tolerate when riding any distance over a few miles. It really did crack and there was a fair bit of back firing too. Even with ear plugs it was just too loud. I swapped back to the OEM after a few days and sold it on.

I do like taking photos of my bike and at some angles the stock exhaust looks ok (pic2) but mostly it looks like I've welded a hoover or a steel bagpipe to the bike (pic3), very fugly :(

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
I agree that the TEC exhaust looks the part - especially those curved downpipes. Pity you found the noise too loud. Your Pic 2 is great...lovely reflections.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cheers TJ, yes I loved the look of it too. I'd like to find a decent looking pipe for it, but not too loud, or expensive. The TEC was a great price but most the others are daft money :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts