XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
like the look of what you have done. i have just painted the collector box on mine with high temperature black but left the downpipes stainless and cleaned them with autosol, looks good to me but I have not fitted the exhaust back on he bike yet. eric

·
Registered
280 Posts
@palax - Sorry for your misfortune. VHT paint is not intended for exhaust parts, as you found out, it can't handle the higher temperatures over a sustained period of time. VHT is fine for engine parts that see some high temps, but not prolonged high temperatures. The heat shield might survive with VHT paint, but not the exhaust pipes themselves.

Ceramic coating is one solution, but will need to be professionally applied and baked in a special oven. And more expensive, but is extremely durable. Much more so than powder coating, which is also not going to last on exhaust parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello @EricV , thanks for feedback. I know nothing about the long/mid term experiences with them, I just followed what seemed to be the right materials and the process : ( .Thing is that the paint I used is this one: Coating with corresponding primer, so that seemed appropriate as per the description: "VHT Exhaust Paint/Manifold Paint Flame Proof".

Actually, I do not blame the product at all, I am sure that me doing it for the first time and at home, is mostly to blame : P

Just mentioned my case in case someone else managed to do it right by themselves without professional services : )

·
Registered
280 Posts
It may have been your process, or may have been the paint you used. Some VHT paints are only good for lower temps. Your description would appear to be for a higher temp version. At the end of the day, no paint will really hold up to exhaust pipe heat over time. You need a product that is applied and baked at temperatures higher than what the exhaust normally sees for it to really hold up.

Note that the product you link to states "Intake Manifolds, exhaust manifolds, cylinder heads etc." all thicker, heavier pieces of the engine that soak with heat, as opposed to thin wall exhaust pipe directly exposed to exhaust temps. Thin wall pipe can be very difficult to keep product from burning and flaking due to it's high temperature swings and higher localized temperatures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts