XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am new to this forum, and I am hoping someone will be able to help me with my first problem..

A while back, my bike ('17 XSR) was stolen from the front of my house. The thieving s#@$ snapped my steering lock bolt, and got stuck pushing it away (didn't see the disk lock??). Luckily my neighbour saw it happen and scared them off.

I went to my local dealer, and got a quote of £960 for a new ignition. Ouch.

I've been in the bike game for a while, and even though it isn't my favourite thing to do when I am clueless, I do sometimes fix things myself to cut costs. I don't want to have to fork out that much money if it can be avoided.

I work next door to a metal fabricator, and I was wondering whether it is possible to replicate the broken bolt (maybe even use a stronger metal to avoid a similar thing happening in the future), and fix the problem that way. I am still yet to take the front apart, but having inspected it as it is I can happily say the damage is not extensive at all.
It is a clean break to the bolt and no further damage.

I have replaced ignitions before, as well as taking them apart, however this was never on a brand spanking new bike (which I have fallen in love with) and I am worried about causing further damage.

Has anyone got any experience with this at all? or possibly even give me a guess of whether this is doable and how would I go about starting?

thank you for your help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Hi All!

I have replaced ignitions before, as well as taking them apart, however this was never on a brand spanking new bike (which I have fallen in love with) and I am worried about causing further damage.

Has anyone got any experience with this at all? or possibly even give me a guess of whether this is doable and how would I go about starting?
It sounds as if you're already more qualified than most to take on the repair! Your dealer quote was ludicrous - main dealers wonder why they don't see their customers again for routine work? It might be worth talking to a local independent workshop - they might be happy to strip out the broken bolt and repair the ignition. Main dealers tend not to repair, preferring the 'remove and replace' option, fitting overpriced 'genuine' parts with tidy profit margins and hefty labour charges.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had mine stolen this year and damage to the headlight and ignition.
the reason the ignition is so expensive is its coded to the ECU, therefore you need a new ECU as they wont recode you existing one.
Also along with the ignition switch I got all new locks & Keys for fuel cap & seat lock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts