XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last weekend i did a big cleaning on my xsr.
today I wanted to start it and no more starting (motorcycle on stand) the starter turns well.
if I disengage it starts if I release it stops.
if I raise the crutch, it starts without touching the clutch????

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is it in gear?

The language barrier makes it very difficult to help you.

With the bike in neutral, the starter should spin with out squeezing the clutch lever and with the side stand down.

With the bike in gear, the starter should only spin when the side stand is up, and the clutch lever is squeezed, (clutch disengaged).

Did you get water down the spark plug wells?

It may start working again when it dries out more, if you are lucky.

Good luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is weird.
- motorcycle with stand - does not start.
-motorcycle with crutch m, by disengaging it starts, if I release the clutch lever it stops.
-motorcycle with raised stand, it starts and I can drive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think he side stand switch is shorted out. Remove the switch and clean/lubricate it. If that doesn't change anything, temporarily connect the two wires together and see if the bike will start. BE CAREFUL, if this is the case, it will start in gear with the side stand down.

It is also possible the computer things the bike is in gear when it is not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
WD-40 or a similar light solvent with oil.

You said it will start with the clutch lever pulled in, stop when it's let out. That indicates the clutch switch at the lever is ok.

·
Registered
267 Posts
NO, do not take it completely apart. Just spray the plunger and move it back and forth.

The bike should start in neutral with the stand down. With out pulling the clutch lever in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't understand. Did you clean the switch and nothing changed? ( Je ne comprends pas. As-tu nettoyé l'interrupteur et rien n'a changé ? )

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gear position indicator is my next guess. It seems to think it's in gear when it is not. (L'indicateur de position de vitesse est ma prochaine supposition. Il semble penser qu'il est en prise alors qu'il ne l'est pas. )

Shop manual suggests this is a quite involved testing procedure. It would be better left to the dealer to verify and test. ( Le manuel d'atelier suggère qu'il s'agit d'une procédure de test assez complexe. Il serait préférable de laisser le revendeur vérifier et tester. )

Just to confirm that the clutch switch is working correctly, when the bike is in neutral, you said it will start if you pull in the lever, disengage the clutch, but then will die when you release it, engaging the clutch? Is this correct? ( Juste pour confirmer que l'interrupteur d'embrayage fonctionne correctement, lorsque le vélo est au point mort, vous avez dit qu'il démarrera si vous tirez sur le levier, désengagez l'embrayage, mais qu'il mourra ensuite lorsque vous le relâcherez, engageant l'embrayage ? Est-ce correct? )

Community Verified icon

·
Registered
399 Posts
Gear position indicator is my next guess. It seems to think it's in gear when it is not. (L'indicateur de position de vitesse est ma prochaine supposition. Il semble penser qu'il est en prise alors qu'il ne l'est pas. )

Shop manual suggests this is a quite involved testing procedure. It would be better left to the dealer to verify and test. ( Le manuel d'atelier suggère qu'il s'agit d'une procédure de test assez complexe. Il serait préférable de laisser le revendeur vérifier et tester. )

Just to confirm that the clutch switch is working correctly, when the bike is in neutral, you said it will start if you pull in the lever, disengage the clutch, but then will die when you release it, engaging the clutch? Is this correct? ( Juste pour confirmer que l'interrupteur d'embrayage fonctionne correctement, lorsque le vélo est au point mort, vous avez dit qu'il démarrera si vous tirez sur le levier, désengagez l'embrayage, mais qu'il mourra ensuite lorsque vous le relâcherez, engageant l'embrayage ? Est-ce correct? )

View attachment 27437
kudos to you Eric for replying in dual-lingual format, benefitting the OP and the rest of the English speaking members (y)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Language barriers can be a challenge, and many of the forum members have more experience than I do with the XSR700, so hoping someone will recognize something and chime in, or correct me if I make an error.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts