XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anybody else having some trouble with the brakes? I went from a BMW to the XSR700 and the brakes doesn't feel as firm as the BMW ones. Maybe because I had stainless steel brake lines on the BMW. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy stainless steel lines for the XSR700? Or have you done something else to increase the braking power to your bike? Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have a hydraulic pipe supplier close to you then they will normally make up pipes if you take them a sample. I have done this on my 24 yr old SRX4 with effective results. You do realise that the XSR700 has rubber type brake pipes which are probably 80%of the problem. Part of the problem is that ABS systems always seem a bit spongy to me.
HTH Ian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the tip! I feel the same way. With my older bike the braking started instantly, but with the XSR i feel like it needs a really firm grip on the lever before the brakepads really grip the rotor. I will definitely check out the pipes, but also look for replacement brake lines (stainless steel ones) for the bike. Safety first!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved

Thanks for the replies. I found out that Goodridge makes costum braided brake lines in stainless steel (quite expensive at £ 244,93 for the front and back brakes). They have multiple colors to, but I think I'm opting for the black ones (I'm a sucker for originality, and that is as close as it will get). I think I'll order a set and put it on my bike after this season.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know what you mean as well. My brakes have plenty power and I one-finger them mostly, but the "feel" is just rubbish. Maybe it is, like Ian says, the ABS system mucking up the directness that must of us are used to.

the yamaha monoblock calipers are in my opinion some of the best feeling brakes ever made, so I doubt it's the hardware.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hoi, you braking professionals!

I did the change to stainless steel brake lines. But the result was not that convincing than expecting. Due the tubing for the rear brake, only the front lines were exchanged. I do not even know, if someone is offering a complete set of lines for the MT/XSR.

At the end, it was changing the front brake pads. The OEMs are nice and will end in a long life time. But they also increase that spongy feeling, which was mentioned above.
So my conclusion is, before you go for the quiet expensive brake lines, change the brake pads first.

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi hombacher!

Thanks for the reply! After reading your comment, I will change the pads. I sold my BMW yesterday, and cannot believe how much better the braking were on that bike compared to the Yamaha. I will try a couple of mods and give feedback on this thread.

Compoundeyes

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hoi,

I went for TRW (Lucas) SRT pads, Street legal approved sinter metal pads and described as suitable for street and track.

A little bit more costy than the OEMs, and they will not last that long. But pads which do not wear they do not brake in my opinion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hoi, you braking professionals!

I did the change to stainless steel brake lines. But the result was not that convincing than expecting. Due the tubing for the rear brake, only the front lines were exchanged. I do not even know, if someone is offering a complete set of lines for the MT/XSR.

At the end, it was changing the front brake pads. The OEMs are nice and will end in a long life time. But they also increase that spongy feeling, which was mentioned above.
So my conclusion is, before you go for the quiet expensive brake lines, change the brake pads first.

BR
hombacher
Any photos of the braided lines on the bike?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts