XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After installing my color cluster lcd flip I noticed some dirt on the inside of the speedometer cover.
I just used acetone to clean the lcd and thought lets clean this really quick and I can put the speedo back.

So I learned that acetone and plastic don't really mix. Is there any way I can smooth this out?
You can only buy a new speedo and not the cover itself.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Aceton is bad and eval, I know from CD boxes, some years ago. Isopropanol can be better. But still very good first option is a microfibre cloth and some soap.

I used a plastic polishing S100 offering to remove scratched and to bring shine back to the speedo. It worked fine. So maybe this could help in your case, if you can remove the chemical morphed surface.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The above may work because there is a product out there for polishing plastic headlights after they have become fogged with age and sun. It's certainly worth a try. I ruined a perfectly good wind screen once trying to clean it with acetone, the outcome was pretty bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I learned that acetone and plastic don't really mix.
I learned the same. I filled up a spray bottle with acetone and it disintegrated the internals in seconds. From then on I steer clear of Acetone on plastics.
As for a solution to the problem, I can’t help. Polishing it would be a good start as Hombacher said... heavy polishing could work. But you’ll have to go deep as the acetone sets in pretty deep. Good luck 🤞🏻

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,

After installing my color cluster lcd flip I noticed some dirt on the inside of the speedometer cover.
I just used acetone to clean the lcd and thought lets clean this really quick and I can put the speedo back.

So I learned that acetone and plastic don't really mix. Is there any way I can smooth this out?
You can only buy a new speedo and not the cover itself.
View attachment 26187

View attachment 26188
Is there a plastic film? I think mine has one too, and I have always been thinking can it just be removed? Like a film they but to almost all the displays for shipping, and should be removed before usage.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Acetone makes great solvent to melt and glue hard plastics, like ABS and PVC, as has been discovered by the OP. I've glued plexiglass and other plastics using it.

If necessary you can wet sand the face with 1500 grit and finer (aka 2000 grit or finer) as the finer you get the closer it is to polished. Final polishing can be done with a metal polish like Simichrome or Flitz, then with some very fine paint polish (not wax, but polish). This should get the surface back to a glasslike finish.

The sanding with fine grit can take a fair amount of time since the fine grit will only cut so much at a time. Again a little water helps do the fine work. The final polish should be fairly brisk and hard by hand.

Key in a search for 3000 grit sandpaper. I got a link to Amazon where there is a kit of sandpaper that will range from 120 extremely coarse for plastics, to 3000 which is almost polish level. Get a kit like that to get the paper from 1000-3000 and work through the grits coarse to fine. click here then find a source where you are located.

I will also point out that fine show quality color sanding is done with 800 grit and up. The stuff can be used to sand out orange peel in tank paint if necessary. Also finely sand out light scratching in clear coat with the 1500-3000 grits. They cut so shallow there is little risk to sand through clear coat, much less color coat. Just go slow, use water and check frequently for progress.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Appreciate the help. Will try first the soap and afterwards the s100 polish.

I am a bit hesitating about sandpaper, the dial is bad but can still drive with it. I am worried i will be destroying it when using sandpaper but maybe as a final option.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Get a piece of plastic and try the sanding. I just did some work on some acrylic, sanding the surface when I damaged it with a Dremel buffer, melting the surface a bit. I only used 1500 grit and Flitz, bringing it back to a mirror like finish.

Get an old face shield or some hard plastic, scratch it up lightly then try the sanding. That will give you practice. You can do the same with a painted panel. You've seen how mirror-like that paint can be, I am describing exactly how they get that finish and it works taking swirls out of paint. They use progressively finer and finer grit sandpaper and then buffing compounds to get that perfect finish. Same thing with buffing metal to a mirror finish. Difference is the plastic is a bit softer and won't take machine buffing like paint, so it is done by hand.

Dead on serious, if your instrument finish is hurt as bad as it looks, what I'm describing will do the job. It is simply going from a coarse grit to a crazy-fine grit. Try what I mentioned to practice. You will see it is possible. It will take some work through the sanding and buffing, but it will work. Just remember it is the ultra-fine grit and the polish that will do the job, not just some sandpaper you found at the discount store. Higher the number the finer the grit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great tips. I am happy to say the s100 polish worked. The speedo looks even better then before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts