XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not overly impressed by the design of this motorcycle. I have owned a xsr 700 now for a year and 4 months and I must say compared to the bikes I used to own, maintenance is a great deal harder. Access to the spark plugs is nigh on impossible without removal of the radiator which means draining the coolant. What a ridiculous situation. Anybody got an easier way? I should point out that I have removed the petrol tank to drain it properly due to the ethanol in our petrol here in the UK and I still cannot access the park plugs. I have parked the bike up for winter and it would be nice to put a drop of oil in the pots, esp before starting it come the spring.

I haven't dropped the oil this year as it's only done around 1800 miles since it's July service so I may just drop it cold and refill with fresh oil, i guess it can't hurt.
As I have said I have 'winterised' it now by removing the petrol tank (stored in the house empty), removing the battery and putting it on smart charge and cleaning and then covering the bike in acf50. If only spark plug access was easier!

·
Super Moderator
794 Posts
My 'winterising' involves a liberal dousing with ACF50 and a good hose down after winter rides on wet roads. The occasional top up trickle charge helps as well. Personally, I wouldn't worry about E10 fuel - there has been a lot of daft scare-mongering about it on social media (what's new?). If my bikes have been laid up for a while, I usually start them up for a few minutes to throw a bit of oil around the engine, then put in fresh oil in the spring. Best to use the bike occasionally if you can - those rare, dry winter day rides are good for the soul!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi there! While maintenance items are certainly buried more than they are on older bikes (way more electronics they attempted to conceal, and engineers consider it less of a hassle because of the longer maintenance intervals), I have 24K miles on my '18, and I haven't found maintenance to be terrible so far... I've replaced plugs twice so far and will be doing fresh plugs, air filter, and valve clearance adjustment in the next month.

You shouldn't need to drain and remove the radiator to replace plugs, I never have. It's possible that I loosened the mounting bolts to drop it down a little bit, but I don't recall it being that much of a hassle. The service manual also makes no mention of the radiator when doing spark plugs... Pulling the tank is definitely required. What specifically are you having a problem with here, maybe we can provide some tips!

Font Material property Parallel Document Paper

As far as the fuel, modern fuel systems are designed for fuel with ethanol in it, the materials used are compatible with it and you don't have tiny jets in the carbs to get clogged up. The way I understand it, fuel injection systems have enough pressure that clogging because of fuel gelatinization is generally not a concern. Depending on where and how long the bike is stored, you may still have to worry about water in the fuel. If it's stored in the garage away from the elements, I think it would be fine for several months.

If you're able to start the bike up once a month or so and let it reach operating temperature, that keeps things fresh, but I understand not everyone is able to do this. As mentioned, a battery tender works wonders if you're able to top off the batt every few weeks. But I agree with Tigerjohn, taking it out for a ride on dry winter days is good both for you and the bike!

Finally, regarding oil: If you won't be riding it at all for several months, you're better off changing out the old oil at the END of the season than the beginning - this way, all the contaminants in the old oil aren't sitting in the crankcase all winter long. But personally, I just try to ride them or at least start them up monthly and not worry about changing the oil outside of normal intervals.

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well here's what I did. I put the tank back on, filled it with E5 and fuel stabiliser and changed the oil. Now I will try to run it til the fan kicks in (105c) a couple of times a month and keep the battery periodically charged. It is plastered in acf 50 and covered in blankets in the garage. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts