XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All when trying to take off my exhaust today I snapped the rusted fused bolt from what I perceive as the manifold. I cannot find this bolt or the accompanying nuts on one of the parts websites does anyone know what category this would come under as its not under exhaust..
Also other than PB Blaster any idea how I can get this out?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks nightic that’s it perfect couldn’t see it myself on Fowler’s so thanks for that.

You wouldn’t happen to know how to get the rusted stud out of the block would you any tips?

·
Registered
633 Posts
If that stud is still sticking out like it looks in the picture, the best thing I've ever found is called "mouse milk". It's an aircraft quality anti-seize oil that will penetrate where almost nothing else will. Just put it on as heavy as you can and let it sit for a few hours to work it's way into the threads and then get a grip on it and work it out. if it's broken off flush with the casting you'll have to drill it and use an easy-out and unfortunately it's not in an easy place to do that without removing the motor so you can get at it from dead on. What you don't want to do is screw up the head and have to drill it larger and use a new threading device.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are videos on youtube showing procedures to remove a broken stud. Just work slowly, and you will probably need a good pair of vice-grips. It it is flush, maybe a dremel tool to carve a slot in it to turn it out. (after the mouse milk has done it's job).
I am going to remove the nuts on mine now and put some copper anti-seize on them to prevent just this thing happening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice at the moment my vice grips just chew up the bolt. I’ve ordered some WD40 penetrating solution which had good reviews so I’ll see how that gets on and then maybe try something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts