XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XSR700
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all welcome to my burning dumpster fire of a build thread. This will probably get wordy and long so grab a cigarette n coffee and let's go to town.

I bought my XSR the summer of 2019. The pandemic had me so bored I decided to go get my learner's bike license and start riding bikes legally. I have a 74 Honda cb450 and an 81 Honda CBX1050(go YouTube a sound clip of these things) which have never really been ridden within the confines of the law, just more fun projects and Sunday afternoon rippers.

I really wanted a new bike to ride and tinker on due to my growing impatience of siezed and stripped fasteners. I needed a breath of fresh air. A new bike. After a failed deal on a Ducati Scrambler, a well placed Facebook advertisement brought me to my nearest Yamaha dealer and to the eventual purchase of my XSR700. I was close to settling on a silver/red one but being the inquisitive pain in the glutes that I am, I discovered they had a blue one sitting in its crate, on a shelf, sad and lonely. Absolutely I will take the blue one please.

K sweet I now own a blue XSR700. A few days later it was assembled and the PDI was completed.

Off we go.

The summer was spent riding this thing as much as possible. Between July 15th and October 25th, I was able to put 4444km on it. Perfect. I was blown away (literally) by the need for wind deflectors of some kind. I used the bike to commute to work and back which for me includes a 20min stint on what's known as the Warman 500. The stretch of road between the town I live and Saskatoon the city in which I work. It's called the Warman 500 because everyone does between 80-100mph on it after just rolling out of bed at 7:00am still rubbing their eyes. It's interesting. So my commute includes some speed to keep up with and prevent bottlenecking traffic. I have a bike now. Let's go fast. Ah shit wind that's right. Ok Kappa. Give me your finest retro wind guard thing.

This thing does essentialy nothing. Ok so actual modification is required. I wasn't really happy with the bike in stock form anyway. Ergonomics and visual appeal just weren't.... Something was off. Is it just me that finds the side view of the bike to be oddly swoopy?

Not a huge deal, just a little strange to me.

So it's sitting in the garage parked for winter and I'm getting restless. I'm a ticketed mekanek by trade and I grew up tinkering and modifying cars. I've been blessed with being able to work on some high end show vehicles that have made their way to Sema and magazines. Stories for another time. Point is, I like to get creative and disregard years of research and development by manufacturers because I think my dumb ass can do it better.

First things first. What in the Kentucky fried **** was Yamaha thinking when they decided to put the air filter in a spot where you have to remove the file tank to inspect/replace the air filter. Thanks to the power of alcohol induced inspiration and reciprocating saws, air box removal was quick and easy.

Ok cool. Now I have a vast empty space and no filters... Sober me found some angled UNI filters which fit nicely in the empty space.

Now I have air filtration and serviceability. And an even more unappealing side profile than factory. God I hate the rear brake fluid reservoir. What to do. Ah yes. The oem air filter panels. Which by the way, were placed strangely and didn't add to, complete, or create any flowing lines on the bike. Let's see if we can change that.

Don't mind the fender. We'll get to that in a moment. I bought a few sheets of card stock for bracket design and a sheet of 1/8" thick aluminum and set to work. I'll add photos of the brackets on the bike later on here.

Dumpster fire part 2 will be added soon.

·
Registered
2019 XSR700
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dumpster fire pt. 2

Brackets. It took me a week of evenings to figure out how to make a proper fitting bracket for these things. Lots of mistakes and redos. Luckaly, most of those mistakes were made with the card stock. Only one was with the aluminum.

Way over built for what I need it to do. Support light plastic. Let's try that again...

Much better. I tried to keep it fairly uniform. Pretty difficult when I don't have super fancy tools. These were done with a cheap vice, a jig saw, and files. I had to make sure they were built in a way that wouldn't be seen at all once the panels were installed, I just thought it would look better.

Not bad in my mind. I like the placement better than stock. At least now it kind of flows with the angle of the seat frame. The other side was very much the same

"But wait you blithering idiot" one might say... Ahh the key hole. Conveniently located in the rear fender liner, is a safety hole you can stick your finger in to release the seat. We jus gon use dat. For the time being anyway untill I can get a new cable made long enough I can relocate the key mechanism to the vast cavity created by the lack of airbox. Ok so panels are done for now, everything lines up and is perfectly semetrical side to side. Love it.

Front fender time. My riding style is more so light adventure. Not quite enough to justify selling the xsr to buy a tenere (which wasn't an option when I purchased). But enough to make it apparent that this wasn't what this bike was designed for. Biggest pet peeve was the front fender getting dirty and muddy and not being able to properly wash it out. Properly? Conveniently? Who cares. I didn't like it. I want a high fender. K how do I do that without messing the style up too much? The aftermarket fenders I was looking at were for enduros and supermotos. Which would destroy the retro vibes of the bike. Buddy of mine had the idea to just see what the stock fender would look like raised up

I kinda dig it. It makes it look a little more all around usable without killing the style. Let's cut the zip ties and see if we can make a bracket. Under the lower fork tree, there are two bolts fastening the headlight bracket to the tree, and a little further forward there's a bolt holding the headlight to the bracket. Three's a party so that should be strong enough to hold it all in place.

Thank you for friends in the autobody industry. We got the little bracket sized up, cut, bent, and ready for install. I used the factory fender bracket, the thing with four arms that attaches to the fork. We cut off the front two arms and rounded them off so they didn't look like dump. I left the rear two so I can attach the new brake lines when they're ready. I might trim then down a little yet. I'm not sure I like how far down they hang.

Attaching these two aluminum beauties were done with self piercing rivets (the same ones that hold f150s together) and structural adhesive (the same glue that holds Corvettes together). This ain't going anywhere.

We gave it a quick coat of paint to match the factory finish and back to the bike to install. When I say we, I of course meant not me at all I know where my skills end.

·
Registered
2019 XSR700
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dumpster fire pt.3

Homeward bound.

It's about as symmetrical as Forrest Whittaker's face. I was way too excited to care. Still don't care. You don't see it and the fender sits straighter than Caitlyn Jenner so I'll take it.

See? Don't even notice the bracket's lack of perfection. If you make mistakes, make sure they're hidden.

So now that it's installed on the bike I realize that the rear arms need to be trimmed up. They look like they melted there. The plan is to fasten the brake lines to them. So you know how from factory, the brake lines are routed from the abs module, to the left caliper, then with a double banjo fitting another line goes from left caliper to right over the fender? Let's simplify that and the new lines will both be attached via a double banjo fitting at the abs module, then be run direct to each caliper. One on each side. Simple and clean. My brake line guy is waiting for my stainless braided line to get in so he can whip them up for me. I'll post pictures when they're finished and installed.

I am currently now working on a new rear fender liner and brake light assembly. I really really dislike how the rear fender and brake light look from factory. Even with the tail tidys available, none of them look great in my mind. More to come on that. Stay tuned to see me butcher it and end up buying a pre made one anyway. I'm still in the cardstock design stages of that one. Ideas are always welcome but I feel like I've exhausted the internet in that one.

·
Registered
2019 XSR700
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought some brand used 80s Kawasaki mirrors that don't look like a sideways drip

And half installed my heated grips. Gotta take the tank off to route some wiring now

·
Registered
2019 XSR700
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really want a taller windscreen to make the longer rides a little nicer. The problem is, it's really really nearly impossible to have a large windscreen that doesn't completely and utterly ruin the look and style of the xsr. I keep looking on the interwebs for inspiration. All the big windscreens look like bin. I attempted to design my own...

Hmmm....

Thank you shitty Photoshop skills for showing me my failures before crafting from aluminum. Ghaaahhh I'm nearly out of ideas...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dumpster fire pt.3

Homeward bound. View attachment 25544
It's about as symmetrical as Forrest Whittaker's face. I was way too excited to care. Still don't care. You don't see it and the fender sits straighter than Caitlyn Jenner so I'll take it. View attachment 25545
See? Don't even notice the bracket's lack of perfection. If you make mistakes, make sure they're hidden. View attachment 25546
So now that it's installed on the bike I realize that the rear arms need to be trimmed up. They look like they melted there. The plan is to fasten the brake lines to them. So you know how from factory, the brake lines are routed from the abs module, to the left caliper, then with a double banjo fitting another line goes from left caliper to right over the fender? Let's simplify that and the new lines will both be attached via a double banjo fitting at the abs module, then be run direct to each caliper. One on each side. Simple and clean. My brake line guy is waiting for my stainless braided line to get in so he can whip them up for me. I'll post pictures when they're finished and installed.

I am currently now working on a new rear fender liner and brake light assembly. I really really dislike how the rear fender and brake light look from factory. Even with the tail tidys available, none of them look great in my mind. More to come on that. Stay tuned to see me butcher it and end up buying a pre made one anyway. I'm still in the cardstock design stages of that one. Ideas are always welcome but I feel like I've exhausted the internet in that one.
At the risk of going against your DIY theme I highly recommend the New Rage Cycles rear fender eliminator. It gets rid of all that junk hanging off the rear of the bike and replaces it with a super clean LED strip that has indicators and tail light all in one. The only downside is you are going to get a bit muddy when you're semi-adventuring. I'm happy with mine and spent a long time trying to find the right tail tidy. My opinion anyway. Love the thread you started here. Keep it going! 🍿

·
Registered
2019 XSR700
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the risk of going against your DIY theme I highly recommend the New Rage Cycles rear fender eliminator. It gets rid of all that junk hanging off the rear of the bike and replaces it with a super clean LED strip that has indicators and tail light all in one. The only downside is you are going to get a bit muddy when you're semi-adventuring. I'm happy with mine and spent a long time trying to find the right tail tidy. My opinion anyway. Love the thread you started here. Keep it going! 🍿

The only reason I won't go with that set up is, the cops up here are sticklers about signal lights and sizes. That would get flagged and I'd get taken off the road pretty quick. I'm trying to find signal lights that look OEM, but not the dumb floppy drip shaped ones that the bike comes with. I just want something sleaker that doesn't shout, IM MODIFIED.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts