XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

One of the side tank pads of my XSR fell down :frown2: and the other's glue is already loosing it's grip.
I suspect that the repeated heatwaves from the past few months somehow ruined the glue on the pads.

I tried to glue the pad back to the bike a couple of times, even leaving it overnight under pressure but it falls down again after a few hours.

Anyone has any tip on how to recover the glue on the pads or on any type of glue to apply to the bike/pads to fix it?

Thank you

·
Registered
294 Posts
3M 4646 VHB tape (Grey tape with red backing) is the only thing that worked for me.
Good luck getting the crappy original Yamaha adhesive off though - it's a nightmare.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi

One of the side tank pads of my XSR fell down :frown2: and the other's glue is already loosing it's grip.
I suspect that the repeated heatwaves from the past few months somehow ruined the glue on the pads.

I tried to glue the pad back to the bike a couple of times, even leaving it overnight under pressure but it falls down again after a few hours.

Anyone has any tip on how to recover the glue on the pads or on any type of glue to apply to the bike/pads to fix it?

Thank you
This happened to me, took it back to the dealer and they epoxy'd it back on. Guess what, a short time later, they came off again! Now I've got no tank-pads and crusty **** on my tank, thanks a lot!

3M 4646 VHB tape (Grey tape with red backing) is the only thing that worked for me.
Good luck getting the crappy original Yamaha adhesive off though - it's a nightmare.
Thanks for the tip. Will try it

·
Registered
192 Posts
The same thing happened to me. Tried twice at the dealer with miserable results. The first time they ordered new pads. Second time, they just double taped them back on without even removing the residual glue, (that's Yamaha officialdom 4 u).

So... took the matter into my own hands. Literally. Spent maybe a good couple of hours skinning off my fingers to remove the crap the dealer couldn't bother removing, thoroughly cleaned and de-greased both the tank panels and the rubber pads, and just used off the shelf good quality contact glue for metal and rubber. Left it overnight with some clamps and it has been there ever since :).

I was told that careful initial installation is key. Clean panels and heat application are essential. But dealers can't be bothered. I tried to be nice, explaining how it should be done, but that didn't work. Profanity got the same result. Some, you just can't win.

Luis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem from the first day installed.
First step, remove the oem glue.
Second step, buy silicone tape double side usually red package.
Third step Install the silicon to the pads.
Finally go for coffee, you have solve your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts