XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am delighted with my XSR700 but I do find that the clutch biting point is very sensitive.
I have experience of over 40 bikes, ancient & modern but have never experienced sutch a sharp clutch action.
Is it a known problem on the XSR? or is it a matter of something not quite correctly adjusted?
I thought I might get used to it but having done nearly 1K miles in the first month, while I can manage pulling awy straight ahead without a problem, turning while pulling away as at a junction is still tricky. It is a slight problem also in stop and go traffic but generally I find that the engine's superb flexibility helps.
Comments please.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Thislldo,

I know exactly where you're coming from.

After six months on my XSR I'm still not comfortable with the clutch action - I'm now thinking about changing the levers for some adjustable ones in the hope that will fix the issue.

The action on mine is, as you say, a bit too snappy and it doesn't inspire confidence if I want to get away quickly...

Regards

Gabe

·
Registered
65 Posts
The clutch is very sharp with the running-in oil but does improve after that is changed at the first service.

I have fitted adjustable levers and they have definitely made a difference. And being black they look so much better as well...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Any particular recommendation for an adjustable lever? There seem to be lots to choose from and I have little experience of them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd like some nice black folding levers as well. I've heard the evotech ones are a bit wobbly
That's interesting, thanks for the warning - The parts guy at the dealership I got my bike from always goes on about evotech being great!

I think that they run at around £100 so you'd expect better for that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'd like some nice black folding levers as well. I've heard the evotech ones are a bit wobbly
That's interesting, thanks for the warning - The parts guy at the dealership I got my bike from always goes on about evotech being great!

I think that they run at around £100 so you'd expect better for that.
No personal experience! Just hearsay, i'm still looking

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am delighted with my XSR700 but I do find that the clutch biting point is very sensitive.
I have experience of over 40 bikes, ancient & modern but have never experienced sutch a sharp clutch action.
Is it a known problem on the XSR? or is it a matter of something not quite correctly adjusted?
I thought I might get used to it but having done nearly 1K miles in the first month, while I can manage pulling awy straight ahead without a problem, turning while pulling away as at a junction is still tricky. It is a slight problem also in stop and go traffic but generally I find that the engine's superb flexibility helps.
Comments please.
I had the exact same feeling when I got the bike, though my experience with previous bikes was not as extensive as yours. Big total of zero, in actual fact. I just got used to it overtime, and right now I'm pretty smooth, I think. I've got the evotech adjustable levers but don't think it made any difference.

When I was researching I did read a reviewer complaining about it, but no where near the complaints around the initial generations of the MT09/FZ09/XSR900...

Luis

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday, having been working on the bike, I refitted the clutch cable to the lever, and a bit later, rode to the shops, suddenly realising I had not readjusted the free play on the cable and it was a bit slack. (almost as slack as I had been, not checking it after refitting it !)
Even before stopping to adjust it, I had been thinking "what happened to the fierce clutch?" Sorted! Just run the cable with a little extra slack in it and the clutch action is lovely.
I had ordered an adjustable lever, but suspect that when it does arrive, I won't bother to fit it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts