XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key turns 20 degrees or so anti clockwise, but seat catch does not release. Any ideas ?
Will removing any of the panels above the back wheel provide access to get at the catch?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The key turns 20 degrees or so anti clockwise, but seat catch does not release. Any ideas ?
Push down on the seat while turning, and lift when you think the catch has released.

Will removing any of the panels above the back wheel provide access to get at the catch?
Unfortunately the seat catch is right next to the fuses and electrics, and main access to that is through the seat

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know what's under there. i've had the seat off a couple of times, but not recently enough to remember whether I should feel someting happening as I turn the key.
There is no such feeling.

The key just turns, comes to a deffinite stop, with no noises, no clicks or other hints of movement, which to me, does not feel right. As if the keyed lock is not operating the catch that secures the seat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah I know what's under there. i've had the seat off a couple of times, but not recently enough to remember whether I should feel someting happening as I turn the key.
There is no such feeling.

The key just turns, comes to a deffinite stop, with no noises, no clicks or other hints of movement, which to me, does not feel right. As if the keyed lock is not operating the catch that secures the seat.
I get that sometimes. Have you pulled up the seat manually while turning the key? Sometimes there's just no 'click'

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried pulling it , wiggling it every way I can think of and still no response.
I have one tank panel off for repainting, and now cannot get at the other panel's (which needs painting as well) bottom screw without getting the seat off !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the parts book diagram:
As I suspected, the lock operates a cable, which in turn releases the seat catch.
I suspect something is jammed and the key is not getting the amount of rotation that would normally release the catch, which would explain why operating the key produces no sound or feeling of movement in the system.
Tomorrow I may try unscrewing the seat lock to see if I can get at the release cable.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The cable/cable guide may have slipped out (up) from its bracket.
I had this happen and fixed it without too much drama.
When viewed from low down, to one side, there's some space under the seat and with a torch and bit of wire (something stiff but somewhat adjustable - like a wire hanger or skewer) you can get a decent enough view to guide the cable back in to place.
(Assuming that's it's not completely out of the bracket.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I have had a look, not helped by the carrier rail which limits the view.
Take the carrier off ? Guess what ?
I have to take the seat off to do that.:crying:
But peering in with a torch and probing with a stiff wire reveals that the cable has become completely unhitched.
I've made a hook on the end of a 3mm welding rod and fished around, but so far have failed to hook whatever it is that the cable pulls.

Anyone got a spare seat? I'm getting desperate and am considering drastic solutions !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. That gives me a little more of idea about what I have to reach, but cannot see.
But I still cannot see what I have to hook onto.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well I have had a look, not helped by the carrier rail which limits the view.
Take the carrier off ? Guess what ?
I have to take the seat off to do that.:crying:
But peering in with a torch and probing with a stiff wire reveals that the cable has become completely unhitched.
I've made a hook on the end of a 3mm welding rod and fished around, but so far have failed to hook whatever it is that the cable pulls.

Anyone got a spare seat? I'm getting desperate and am considering drastic solutions !
Lol, Patience, youll get itr

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, excellent photos.
But I did get it fixed with the help of the other pics, I am sure yours will help others also.
Being short of cable ties, a twist of stainless steel locking wire has been applied to both the outer, and the nipple on the inner cable to make sure the do not go Awol again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had that problem when I first took off the seat. After fiddling with it for a bit, I found that it basically had not fully engaged in the locking mechanism. Basically I gave it a couple of solid pushes down on the seat, heard it click and was able to unlock it fully. Might be worth a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts