XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed and replaced the seat cover on the original seat? Just wondered how easy/hard it might be. (Thinking about shaving down the foam by an inch to reduce seat height - or is that a bad idea?).
Thanks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
seat cover removal

I haven't even looked at mine because from the day I bought it we've had nothing but below zero temps and snow but if it's like most, it's stapled and will need to be re-stapled after you cut down the foam. Be ware that cutting the foam can be done but it's not as easy as you might think to get it even so it doesn't look like a hack did it. It might need a completely new cover depending on how much you want to cut it down. I did it to a Vstrom a few years back by taking it to an upholsterer and I still wasn't happy and ended up getting a new lower seat altogether. If you don't mind wasting a seat in the process if you mess it up, give it a try. You'll need either an electric or air stapler to put things back in order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello fellow riders,

there are some videos on Youtube that show how to do it. If you have the tools and confidence you could try it yourself.
Otherwise, there are some shops that can do it for you for about 50€.

Since my bike is brand new, I'll do it in the future, in order to allow the seat's foam and suspensions to rest in their final heights.

I think it's a good idea to shave it, if that makes your foot more stable on the ground.
On the contrary, I believe messing with the suspensions to lower the bike is a bad decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used a pneumatic stapler from harbor freight to restaple the seat. I also used a small pneumatic sander to sand down the front of the seat as well as the rear of seat at the raised curved part. The new foam with gel I found at Walmart for 20 bucks. It’s a seat cushion for driving long distances. Found it in the auto section. I did add two layers of cotton batting over the whole seat before putting the cover back on. The seat is so much more comfortable now. Huge difference after riding more than an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
I used a pneumatic stapler from harbor freight to restaple the seat. I also used a small pneumatic sander to sand down the front of the seat as well as the rear of seat at the raised curved part. The new foam with gel I found at Walmart for 20 bucks. It’s a seat cushion for driving long distances. Found it in the auto section. I did add two layers of cotton batting over the whole seat before putting the cover back on. The seat is so much more comfortable now. Huge difference after riding more than an hour.

Very useful - Thanks.
Any photos of the finished product and fitted to the bike?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I removed and recovered mine. Reshaped the foam, made it a tractor style shape under the cover and took the edges off the sides. It was sanded and shaped more after the photos then stapled back on. Sand it very smooth as marks show through the cover otherwise. Heaps more comfortable, also shortened the seat a little:)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I removed and recovered mine. Reshaped the foam, made it a tractor style shape under the cover and took the edges off the sides. It was sanded and shaped more after the photos then stapled back on. Sand it very smooth as marks show through the cover otherwise. Heaps more comfortable, also shortened the seat a little:)
Nice work! How much did this reduce the seat height? Glad to hear it was still comfortable after removing more foam. I am thinking of picking up an XSR700 but wanted the seat height a littler lower without sacrificing comfort.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine is lowered 20mm via Lush suspension linkages, footpeg position is now the issue, might put rear-sets on.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey man, i see youre from QLD, where you located ? im in goldy, would love to check out your bike and go for a ride together. Also have an xsr700. Yours looks amazing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts