XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys!

Question. I don´t know much about the inside of a XSR Phantom tire.
I found thisguy today in my tire. It is not losing pressure though. Do i need to get it filled up or should i get the entire
tire replaced?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've run plugged rear tires before. Be wary of what you use for the plug Ryan at FortNine had a good video on the plugs.

I ran a soft "rope" style plug in a punctured new tire on my Nighthawk S until the tire was worn out. Screw in the tread right about where yours was. A good friend who was the mechanic at the Honda dealership where I worked, plugged the tire telling me it would do fine. I had trust in his judgement. The plug was a stretchy soft plug that used a special tool to insert and release it. Worked great. The tool stretched the plug out to a point where it was thin enough to insert into the hole, much like the rope plug, then the tool was released and twisted to release the plug, and removed. The plug expanded on both sides, trimmed on the outside. Job done.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
176 Posts
I actually trust "rope" plugs, and have used them on street bikes before, with a 100% success rate.

But, I had a local tire shop install a "mushroom" plug on my XSR tire.

Because the tire was so new, I expected to ride it quite a few miles afterwards.

For years, I have done my own motorcycle tire swapping.

I removed the wheel, and tire myself, and brought it into the shop.

He charged me $15, I flipped him a $20, and was on my way.

( I LOVE FortNine videos, and I treat that kid's recommendations like bible verses. )

·
Super Moderator
721 Posts
You'll need to have it removed and a plug fitted. A plugged tyre should last fine - with plenty of tread left, there's no need to replace the tyre yet. If you leave the screw in the tyre, it will eventually start to leak, probably when you least want it to.

Reactions: kuuxsr

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rope plugs work very well if inserted correctly!
I've done this to bikes and cars that has been running on track with them and no failure.
I think the risk of a plug failing is the same as you would hit something sharp causing rapid deflation.
But since you are running the terrible phantoms my suggestion is to swap them out for something more ridable.
My new Michelin Power 5 is night and day from the phantoms. And I changed the phantoms after 4500km's so they still had a lot of life left.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Jinxed, I seem to pick up screws and assorted sharp metallic objects on a routine basis. Over the past ten years or so I have had to replace six tires for this reason. My XSR700 seems to be the worse. Within 300 miles after replacing the stock tires with brand new Dunlop Sportmax Q3s, necessary because I found a rather large screw in the rear tire, I again picked up a large nail in the rear tire.

Personally, I am uncomfortable riding with a plugged tire and will generally do so only long enough to obtain a replacement tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice and the tips guys. Decided to send it off to the garage where they put on a new tire. Cost me 220 Euro's but the mechanic that came to pick it up said he did not feel safe doing just a plug. And if he does not trust it I definitely won't trust a plug done by the guy.

New tire happy me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had my Pilot 4 plugged for £18, 300 miles ago - been fine, I'd trust plugs from now on.
With a fresh tire I also would suggest the self and plugs repair. I actually learned do not use this internet and search for rubber plugs o_O

I know that neither tire shops nor your brand repair shop tend to repairing the tire. The pity here is, @kuuxsr you got another SportsComp?
Maybe you can tell us, that this works better compared to the OEM one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts