XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a ride the other day and practiced some controlled emergency stops for (god forbid) the time ever comes to need it and to see what state the brakes were in on the thing as ive just bought it.

under hard braking i heard this whining noise come somewhere form the front of the bike, wasnt particularly wet or anything nor had my rear wheel slid out prior to the stops as i saw this can disable abs.

does everyones scream at them under hard braking or is this signs of a failing abs pump?

help would be appreciated as i only have a week to return it if something is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not too sure about XSR's brakes and intricacies as I haven't had mine for long, however you can glaze the pads by too many severe applications before any pads are properly bedded in, this may have happened prior to you getting the bike, as you say you have just bought it, this could/may cause some squealing, as could piston to pad, (metal to metal), contact when applying the brakes. I always apply a smear of coppaslip to the rear of the pad where it contacts with the piston to help prevent the possibility of squealing, others may not bother, it's a personal preference.

I wouldn't think it's the ABS pump.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not too sure about XSR's brakes and intricacies as I haven't had mine for long, however you can glaze the pads by too many severe applications before any pads are properly bedded in, this may have happened prior to you getting the bike, as you say you have just bought it, this could/may cause some squealing, as could piston to pad, (metal to metal), contact when applying the brakes. I always apply a smear of coppaslip to the rear of the pad where it contacts with the piston to help prevent the possibility of squealing, others may not bother, it's a personal preference.

I wouldn't think it's the ABS pump.
i see what youre saying, though to me i almost 100 percent sounds as if its coming from around handlebars/under engine area and 400 percent sounds electronically generated or atleast some form of diaphragm or something making the noise. i wouldn't say its actual brake squeal. more of the bike telling me theres something wrong with the brakes. scouring the internet tells me nothing about it i feel its an isolated problem with my bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As I mentioned, I am not too sure about XSR's brake system and intricacies yet. I am not sure if there is one ABS pump on the bike or, one for front and one for the rear which I think would be highly unlikely.
I would try the rear brake on it's own to see if the noise is there when the rear alone is applied, if the noise is not there it would suggest the noise is front end related so that would narrow down your area of search.

I found this link on here, it may help, good luck, hope you get sorted.

ABS issues | XSR 700 Forums

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou the link in that forum shows exactly the noise my bike makes, im unsure where to go from here, any advice on what you think as i bought it from a dealer?

·
Registered
XSR700
37 Posts
(y) on practicing emergency braking!

Not sure how many miles are on your bike, but when I practiced braking at around 200-300 miles on the bike this past fall, when the ABS is triggered I heard and felt the mechanical chatter--no squeaking or screaming noise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
(y) on practicing emergency braking!

Not sure how many miles are on your bike, but when I practiced braking at around 200-300 miles on the bike this past fall, when the ABS is triggered I heard and felt the mechanical chatter--no squeaking or screaming noise.
thanks :) im a new rider so im in hopes one day it may save my life,

cant say i notice chatter or the brakes pumping/resisting back at me so could well be abs failure

·
Registered
16 Posts
thankyou the link in that forum shows exactly the noise my bike makes, im unsure where to go from here, any advice on what you think as i bought it from a dealer?
If you bought it from a dealer, I would take a trip to them and ask them if they can have a look at it for you, if nothing more than to give you peace of mind. Any dealer worth their salt will be happy to do that for you. If it is under warranty, and there is indeed something amiss they should be able to sort it for you.
Good luck

·
Registered
464 Posts
it is reported here in the forums and you may find some fancy video in this internet. ABS can make some 'whistling noise' even when standing and ignition of after riding.

Do not know if this noise meets your description of screaming/whining. But if it is the described noise from the ABS, it is no failure and all will be save.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't know, but is it possible it is the sort of whirring noise made by the pads rubbing over the drilled rotor? There is definitely a whir when braking hard with a drilled rotor. Some worse than others. My friend's DRz400SM really whirs under braking.

Either way hope you figure it out.

Looked in the other thread, obviously not the pads on the holes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
TJ, you could check the rear wheel abs circuit by intentional hard braking the rear only, don't brake the front circuit. Go give the rear circuit abs a real workout, and get familiar with the sounds and the physical feedback that the abs generates.

It will rule out the back wheel abs as the problem (or prove it is the rear wheel), and you will know what abs intervention sounds and feels like when operating normally.

Something once experienced, it will help you clarify what if anything is different up front.

1 1/2 cents

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TJ, you could check the rear wheel abs circuit by intentional hard braking the rear only, don't brake the front circuit. Go give the rear circuit abs a real workout, and get familiar with the sounds and the physical feedback that the abs generates.

It will rule out the back wheel abs as the problem (or prove it is the rear wheel), and you will know what abs intervention sounds and feels like when operating normally.

Something once experienced, it will help you clarify what if anything is different up front.

1 1/2 cents
Hi Mate, Tried lt night and for the life of me couldnt get it to make the noise and abs worked fine, i dont want to tamper with abs atm as is technically under warranty i think (i hope)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know, but is it possible it is the sort of whirring noise made by the pads rubbing over the drilled rotor? There is definitely a whir when braking hard with a drilled rotor. Some worse than others. My friend's DRz400SM really whirs under braking.

Either way hope you figure it out.

Looked in the other thread, obviously not the pads on the holes.
Ill quickly grab a video and show you the exact noise it makes form someone elses mt07

·
Registered
621 Posts
You didn't mention how well the bike actually stopped. Did it meet your expectations or not? Sounds may, or may not be an indication that something is wrong but if, in fact the bike wasn't stopping they way you thought it should then you do really have a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As mentioned previously, if you are concerned, and it's under warranty, even if it's not, take it back to dealer and let them have a look at it.
The longer you procrastinate, the longer you'll worry about it.
At least getting it checked let's you know the route to go down to get it sorted, no point in worrying it may be a £1000 repair when it may be £1, if anything at all.
Your bill of sale will confirm your warranty.

Forums are a good source of information BUT, answers can only be based on info received and not physically seeing the potential problem, the best bet is let the dealer have a wee look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You didn't mention how well the bike actually stopped. Did it meet your expectations or not? Sounds may, or may not be an indication that something is wrong but if, in fact the bike wasn't stopping they way you thought it should then you do really have a problem.
well its intermittent to say the least, at all times the rear brake is spongey.

i will raise the brake pedal soon as it is too low and plan on bleeding the brakes to try fix this.
front brake i cant complain.

its just when the bike starts screaming at me in a way that makes me think yamaha put it in there as a 'the bike is going to implode imminently' i half shit myself to put it politely as i can.
when the bike does scream i must say the bike feels like its got actual sponges for calipers but im not sure if its me subconsciously easing off because of the noise.

im getting someone else with 30+ years riding to take her out today for a second opinion as im a new rider and wouldn't particularly know what a 'good set of brakes' felt like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As mentioned previously, if you are concerned, and it's under warranty, even if it's not, take it back to dealer and let them have a look at it.
The longer you procrastinate, the longer you'll worry about it.
At least getting it checked let's you know the route to go down to get it sorted, no point in worrying it may be a £1000 repair when it may be £1, if anything at all.
Your bill of sale will confirm your warranty.
yeah its a plan, ive advised the garage logged the miles done since buying it as proof and plan on sending it back to be checked on as i genuinely love my xsr, im just going to try eliminate a few things first (possible mud or something in sensor/bleed and replace brake fluid)

·
Registered
16 Posts
TJ, just a wee suggestion, don't change anything until the dealer has had a look, you change fluid, bleed something, no matter how competent you are, it gives the dealer/ Yamaha a get out regarding warranty, as they can say it was messed with.
I understand your anxiety, but all they need is the slightest excuse not to cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TJ, just a wee suggestion, don't change anything until the dealer has had a look, you change fluid, bleed something, no matter how competent you are, it gives the dealer/ Yamaha a get out regarding warranty, as they can say it was messed with.
I understand your anxiety, but all they need is the slightest excuse not to cover it under warranty.
I will hold off then, i appreciate that advice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts