XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I am looking for a bit of advice. I am building my 2018 xsr700 into a bit of a scrambler and have hit a snag.

I have got a 19"x2.5" front rim(not on the bike yet) and +20mm cartridge fork internals(already on the bike) that gives me about +55mm at the front. I am looking at the TFX 141 which they can cut to length, but the longest they will go is +40mm at the rear, and I'd really like both sides to match up. I'd like as much of the rear lift as possible to be at the shock as that translates to travel, but it looks like i'm going to have to change linkages as well.

I have seen one dogbone option that gives me +25mm (so +30mm from shock), and one suspension pivot arm that gives me +20mm (so +35mm from shock).

If anyone has any input as to the advantages or disadvantages of either option, or if they know of other options please let me know!

:Dogbone:

:Suspension Pivot Arm:

·
Registered
366 Posts
You're changing a pretty complex geometry that was originally set up to give the best road worthy performance and ride qualities to fit an average rider. Changing the length and ratio of either part of the suspension, and especially the rear linkage mat be a lot of trial and error before you get what you want and still have decent road handling. You might take a look and something close to what you want that exists stock and see what they've done. It might be used as a guide or at least a starting point.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi guys! I am looking for a bit of advice. I am building my 2018 xsr700 into a bit of a scrambler and have hit a snag.

I have got a 19"x2.5" front rim(not on the bike yet) and +20mm cartridge fork internals(already on the bike) that gives me about +55mm at the front. I am looking at the TFX 141 which they can cut to length, but the longest they will go is +40mm at the rear, and I'd really like both sides to match up. I'd like as much of the rear lift as possible to be at the shock as that translates to travel, but it looks like i'm going to have to change linkages as well.

I have seen one dogbone option that gives me +25mm (so +30mm from shock), and one suspension pivot arm that gives me +20mm (so +35mm from shock).

If anyone has any input as to the advantages or disadvantages of either option, or if they know of other options please let me know!

:Dogbone:

:Suspension Pivot Arm:
Careful ! You will have to modify the swingarm.
The chain is already touching the swingarm... with +20 or +30mm, you’re cutting the swingarm !

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're changing a pretty complex geometry that was originally set up to give the best road worthy performance and ride qualities to fit an average rider. Changing the length and ratio of either part of the suspension, and especially the rear linkage mat be a lot of trial and error before you get what you want and still have decent road handling. You might take a look and something close to what you want that exists stock and see what they've done. It might be used as a guide or at least a starting point.
I am guestimating using this guy's trial and my error!

https://adventure-motorcycling.com/xsr700-scrambler/

Careful ! You will have to modify the swingarm.
The chain is already touching the swingarm... with +20 or +30mm, you’re cutting the swingarm !
A very good point, will bring this up with my local fab guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts