XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Im hopefully returning to the xsr family this weekend. I sold my 700 a few years back to get the 900. I ended up hooning everywhere with the 900 having a small off and selling it for a ducati scrambler. Im now making a return to the 700 as i feel it was a superior bike but the temptation of more power was to much.

anyways i been looking at new bits to get for my new bike. I love the look of the sc project conic exhaust but it seems they dont sell it without the big box attached now. Can anyone help me source the straight through one or enlighten me where its gone?

any other exhaust suggestions welcome. I like the price of the tec but aint much to look at.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi guys,

Im hopefully returning to the xsr family this weekend. I sold my 700 a few years back to get the 900. I ended up hooning everywhere with the 900 having a small off and selling it for a ducati scrambler. Im now making a return to the 700 as i feel it was a superior bike but the temptation of more power was to much.

anyways i been looking at new bits to get for my new bike. I love the look of the sc project conic exhaust but it seems they dont sell it without the big box attached now. Can anyone help me source the straight through one or enlighten me where its gone?

any other exhaust suggestions welcome. I like the price of the tec but aint much to look at.

Their main site is down for maintenance at the moment, but it's the previous, non-Euro 4 version you want.

https://www.sc-project.us/conic-70s-style-full-system-exhaust-by-sc-project-Y14-C21A70S.html?mmyId=7655&mmy=Yamaha-XSR700-2017

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi guys,

I can't lie, I've been side-eyeing the scrambler for a long time now. How does it stack against the xsr700?

I really love my zard exhaust . EU-4 compliant and cop friendly too!

20180929_144626.jpg

2015-1721-scarico xsr900 mt07 xsr700 mt09 yamaha zard.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Love the finish on the zard but not the shape. The scrambler has heaps wrong with it for me. The biggest issue was the horribly uncomfortable seat, its hard and pushes you into the tank, They've actually addressed it on the 2019 bikes i believe. Its also really really small and im fairly tall so it was a bit cramped for me compared to the 700/900.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ahh i should of mentioned im in the uk, I've found it on us sites but none European ones.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't still buy it direct from SC Project in Italy. They delivery to most places.
I have the exhaust myself, in Black Ceramic and am extremely happy with it, with regards to aesthetics and manufacturing quality but still think the Scorpion I had before sounded a little better ('meatier').

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be surprised if you couldn't still buy it direct from SC Project in Italy. They delivery to most places.
I have the exhaust myself, in Black Ceramic and am extremely happy with it, with regards to aesthetics and manufacturing quality but still think the Scorpion I had before sounded a little better ('meatier').
Yeah i think its def the best looking exhaust. You got any pics of yours on the bike? i did the see the black euro 4 one on the site but be interested to see straight through.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah i think its def the best looking exhaust. You got any pics of yours on the bike? i did the see the black euro 4 one on the site but be interested to see straight through.

Here's a couple of old photos of mine, in its previous iteration.
(Fly screen, Headlight grille, Tank pads and Indicators have since been removed and will be up for sale soon btw.)

They don't show the exhaust in all its glory but should give you some idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nightic,

Already a great looking bike! What are your plans for it next?

I was pretty happy with the bike as it was but had in mind that Yamaha may have been considering improvements next year which would have temped me to upgrade, so I was a little hesitant to put yet more time/money in to the project.
However, given all they did was introduce new colours and the XTribute variant, I think it's likely that nothing genuinely new will be out before 2020/21

So, since those photos, the headlight has been replaced with the Purpose Built Motos 7" LED unit (basically a really nice Aluminium bezel surrounding a generic 7" LED unit w/ halo).

All indicators have been replaced with ridiculously-priced Kellerman Atto Dark (waiting on the official 15mm extenders for the front ones as they sit too close to the headlight bracket and so despite being absurdly bright are quite difficult to see).
(I was actually extremely happy with the ABM Rinova Billet indicators that I had fitted when that photo was taken - I believe that they are by far the nicest of their type, if wanting a high-end looking (no plastic/rubber), completely rectilinear LED unit (most similar indicators of this type tend to have some flare to the body, making them slightly 'arrowhead-like' which is an overly sporty look, imo).
However, once fitting the new headlight and hence having to remove the fly screen and grille, a lot of visual mass upfront was reduced and so I felt that the ABMs were a bit too obvious.
They look amazing with the set-up in the photo though (somewhat visible in the attached image).

I have at times been temped to go with a really minimal rear-end, using a rear-axle mounted plate bracket/indicators etc. but I always end up feeling that the round stop-/brake-light (especially the smaller Vintech version) is a bit of a signature of the XSRs and it's a shame to replace with something generic (let alone the 'seen on every custom-build' strip type, which I'm not convinced by for daily use).
(I also prefer the moderate protection against splatter that the currently-fitted Evotech-RC tail tidy (which is one of the few that still allows mounting of the stock or Vintech lights) + huge Cypriot licence plate combo provide.)

Overall I'm trying not to 'customise' the bike much really - everything done to it is pretty much bolt-on/off, (apart from just recently having had to drill out the headlight mounting holes in the stock bracket to fit the Purpose Built Moto's unit), as I really don't like the appearance of most after-market headlight brackets - they're either really flimsy looking or the the bolts stand out too much.

I've also sourced a spare original seat and after much deliberation, a smooth, Black Nappa leather which will form the basic of a custom seat (shape still going through final design stages).
Likewise, just finishing off buying a spare set of tank panels, and once decided on colour (may take a while...), will get those professionally painted.
Probably add an after-market Fuel Cap at that point too (Evotech-RC or Barracuda's, probably), as not been happy with the resilience of the finish of the rim of the stock unit.

Once Winter has passed, I'll throw on be some slightly chunkier tyres (no Continental TKC80s, as this is my daily driver).
Currently trying to decide between Pirelli MT60 RS, Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR, Avon Trailrider, Metzler Tourance or the yet-to-be-released Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX41S.

Finishing on will just a few more minor touches - The front pegs, which are currently Puig 'Sport', are being replaced by the Puig 'Trail' next week, with the Sports being moved to to the back (which are currently Puig 'Racing').
Maybe an LSL Handlebar Strut Brace up front too.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a couple of old photos of mine, in its previous iteration.
(Fly screen, Headlight grille, Tank pads and Indicators have since been removed and will be up for sale soon btw.)

They don't show the exhaust in all its glory but should give you some idea.
Looks good! will be interested in prices on the fly screen and possibly grill. Did you have to add any fuel controllers or anything with the sc? im going to take the plunge on it soon and saw it suggested a separate unit to regulate the lambda?

is the baffle fixed on the sc and whats the sound levels like? so many questions :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you buy the additional control unit they recommend to adjust the fuelling?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did you buy the additional control unit they recommend to adjust the fuelling?
I didn't and in the case of my exhaust, which has a factory-custom quieter baffle, which I assume is a little more restrictive than the stock SC Project Conic one, it really doesn't need it.
The fuelling seems to have settled at a nice sweet spot - not too much engine braking, spitting flames or lumpiness. An improvement over stock for sure (not just in terms of the looks and sound).
Really happy with it overall.
Would recommend trying the SC exhaust first and letting the ECU adjust before deciding on whether it needs any further tweaking - you may find that it doesn't too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't and in the case of my exhaust, which has a factory-custom quieter baffle, which I assume is a little more restrictive than the stock SC Project Conic one, it really doesn't need it.
The fuelling seems to have settled at a nice sweet spot - not too much engine braking, spitting flames or lumpiness. An improvement over stock for sure (not just in terms of the looks and sound).
Really happy with it overall.
Would recommend trying the SC exhaust first and letting the ECU adjust before deciding on whether it needs any further tweaking - you may find that it doesn't too.
Yeah I figured it probably isn't necessary! Really love the look of it. On a number of occasions I've been sat at my computer late at night, very nearly drunk enough to just buy it! Is the factory custom quieter baffle you mention something you had to buy separately? My only concern is it being too loud..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also have SC project on mine. Fitted one which includes the car even sounds amazing and had no issues. Baffles come out with just a circular clip and no issues.

Performance is more than pleasing and no issues with fueling, flat spots etc.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah I figured it probably isn't necessary! Really love the look of it. On a number of occasions I've been sat at my computer late at night, very nearly drunk enough to just buy it! Is the factory custom quieter baffle you mention something you had to buy separately? My only concern is it being too loud..
On the Conic model (at least the Euro 3 version), the baffle isn't removable.
It's something you would have to request when ordering from them.
I haven't heard the exhaust when fitted with the original baffle but I saw a lot of owners stating that it was extremely loud.
The quieter baffle I have is just right - it's still pretty loud but not at all obnoxious.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah yes sorry my bad I have the S1 Exhaust by SC-Project. The baffle is tack weldedn in and held in with a circ clip so easily pops out :)

I have to say comparing to a ducati or a V8 X6M not any louder under idle and you do get some very nice pops. I suspect its calm as it has the Euro compaliant cat if it was a straight pipe like other installs I suspect might be too much

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear all,

a very nice hello from my side as I am new to the forum.
I was able to get a brandnew XSR700 60th Av last year from my Yamaha Reseller. I already changed turninglights to LED in black.

Now my question to this topic where I think it fits best:

I´m considering to get a new pipe. Should sound louder but not too loud and especially pithy and deep.
So my first guess was to buy a SC Project Conical (black or silver). But if you could choose between the SC Project, the Zard and the Scorpion (I have one at my 300 modern Vespa which just sounds amazing).

What would you recommend to me. I´m uncertain with this decision!

Thanks for all answers and recommendations!

All the best directly from the Alps,

VintageVino :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Nightic, awesome looking ride! Why did you switch from Scorpion to SC Project?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts