XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just a quick question for those of you that own the SC Project Conic 70s (EURO3).

When installing did you fit the bracket of the pipe (the one attached to the conical end of the pipe itself) inside or outside of the bike's OEM black bracket?

The reason I'm asking is that I fitted mine on the outside this afternoon (so the exhaust bracket is closer to me than the OEM black bracket), but realised from the diagram that SC Project suggest placing it on the inside.

Looking back, the pipe is already snug to the swing-arm so I likely did what I felt was right on instinct, but that said I haven't ridden the bike yet (British weather!) and thought i'd get some info from other people's experiences so that I correct the error if necessary!

Sorry, I know it seems trivial but I may as well get it right now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
221 Posts
As I learned these days during a young MT-07 rider was desperately trying to fit a SC-Project exhaust: The diagram/instruction manual/drawing may vary from reality. Or spoken frankly, it is wrong.

For a proper riding, the exhaust must not hit or touch the swing arm in any way. Also if you take the load off the rear wheel by lifting it. You need the swing arm travel for rebound, or as you know that is the negative travel called sag or static sag.

Check your pipe installation beginning from the header and telescope the tubes completely. Then it should be possible to use the holes 20 mm in front of the actually used holes. It is possible that the SC bracket can not be used.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I learned these days during a young MT-07 rider was desperately trying to fit a SC-Project exhaust: The diagram/instruction manual/drawing may vary from reality. Or spoken frankly, it is wrong.

For a proper riding, the exhaust must not hit or touch the swing arm in any way. Also if you take the load off the rear wheel by lifting it. You need the swing arm travel for rebound, or as you know that is the negative travel called sag or static sag.

Check your pipe installation beginning from the header and telescope the tubes completely. Then it should be possible to use the holes 20 mm in front of the actually used holes. It is possible that the SC bracket can not be used.
Thanks Hombacher, appreciate the advice.

The swing-arm is close but not touching, so I'm happy with where the bracket is positioned. I was just curious if the diagram was a viable approach before disassembling and finding out it isn't! :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all,

For what it's worth, I've learned throughout this process that SC Project have made a few design updates to this product:

1. They've moved the O2 sensor housing position on the pipe. Before it was on the single pipe part of the '2 into 1' piece, now it is on the outer 'split' on the 'two' part.

2. The instructional diagram now places the bolt spacer behind BOTH the muffler bracket and bike bracket. Before it was located between the two so that they didn't touch, effectively causing the muffler to stick out slightly more.

My thoughts on this (having installed the pipe as per the updated instructions) is that the muffler is still too close to the swing arm and that the spacer should be positioned as originally specified by SC Project.

Furthermore, the O2 Sensor relocation is a bit of a stretch to reconnect. It's definitely doable (as I have done it), but another centimetre of slack wouldn't have gone amiss. This is an odd 'upgrade' to the design for me.

Either way, I will likely update this post when I have actually relocated my bracket spacer to confirm these thoughts.

Hopefully this is of some use to anyone else purchasing this product in the future!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well as it turns out Hombacher was correct. The new diagram from SC Project was wrong and they confirmed as much. The spacer should be as it always has been, giving more clearance to the swing arm. I have a small scuff to show for it (thanks SC), but otherwise we're in business!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

For what it's worth, I've learned throughout this process that SC Project have made a few design updates to this product:

1. They've moved the O2 sensor housing position on the pipe. Before it was on the single pipe part of the '2 into 1' piece, now it is on the outer 'split' on the 'two' part.

2. The instructional diagram now places the bolt spacer behind BOTH the muffler bracket and bike bracket. Before it was located between the two so that they didn't touch, effectively causing the muffler to stick out slightly more.

My thoughts on this (having installed the pipe as per the updated instructions) is that the muffler is still too close to the swing arm and that the spacer should be positioned as originally specified by SC Project.

Furthermore, the O2 Sensor relocation is a bit of a stretch to reconnect. It's definitely doable (as I have done it), but another centimetre of slack wouldn't have gone amiss. This is an odd 'upgrade' to the design for me.

Either way, I will likely update this post when I have actually relocated my bracket spacer to confirm these thoughts.

Hopefully this is of some use to anyone else purchasing this product in the future!
GGeZpZ,
I wish I saw this thread earlier. Just fitted my conic and I’m having the same issues. I was wondering, how did you manage to connect the o2 sensor. I still seem to be about a 1/2 inch short. I posted a new thread with pics. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Thread

1 - 6 of 6 Posts