XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First phase of what I wanted to do. Added S2 Concept vintage nose fairing, pricey but personally prefer it to the other fairings. Doddle to assemble. Changed out the fork protectors for more vintage rubber gaiters and also changed out the stock mud guard for a shorter one (had to drill extra hole for the supporting cable stud holder though).

Next phase is exhaust but torn on a shorter seat and tail tidy as still fancy some mild touring.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've always thought the green ones were the best looking, that fairing makes it look even better! What exhaust is on it now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always thought the green ones were the best looking, that fairing makes it look even better! What exhaust is on it now?
that is the stock with the gp moto exhaust cover from the mt07, bike already had it. Big fan of the fairing, think it looks good in all the colours, love the green too!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yamaha's solo saddle is a simple quick swap out with the stock one. I am leaving the stock fender, not the black extension, so I can swap them out with the twist of a key. That way I have the solo saddle for general riding and can put on the stock one when I want to put the saddle bags on. It is not an expensive item all in all. Cost me $102 here in the U.S.

I also like the fairing, although I like the blue XSRs best. I have a red one and also like the green. It's a win - win either way. It's about the way the bike runs - simply awesome! My brother thought I should do a 900, but I don't ride two up and a whole lot of the media said the 700 is like the perfect mix of hooligan and not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have thought about the solo seat but I really don’t like it with the existing fender. I think yam missed a trick with that one, the solo seat goes well with the bike but there’s nothing really decent to tidy it up with. Most solo tidies are custom.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is really a personal thing. The solo saddle looks good on the bike for me, the rear fender has a sort of 60s flat track vibe. I have a Yamaha SR500 street tracker still in the work stage that has the alloy fender on the back with a small seat, that's what kind of set me in that direction. Plus it is just a fine fit.

As for the rear, again personal. I don't care for the tail tidies that remove all the rear fender set up, because it just looks like something is missing to me, but I realize some like it. Kind of a brat bike vibe. I'm street tracker vibe

I got some used parts including the rear fender. I'm looking at the old Lucas style brow light, which was what many riders of XS650s, Triumphs and BSAs would put on their bikes to get rid of the stamped steel bracketed tail lights. Small and slick. Now if it will fit over the hump on the fender without a lot of surgery. I figure a heat gun and some good thick gloves may allow some forming to make it work. The other possibility is to get a rear fender, shorten it a bit, spread it at the portion under the seat and have some real steel there. If that was done the lights would go behind the number plates I plan to add, no lights on the fender.

I'm about a month out on doing the work with my bike. I have some stuff I need to bolt on and such. One is a full 18" muffler Delkevic exhaust, The flat track concept bike Yamaha did and the one that Jeff Palhegyi did has a longer exhaust with the can by the back wheel. That is my preference over the short set ups, plus it has the best possibilities for a reasonable sound level that won't piss everyone off within ear shot. Again, my thing. One more bit is the C-Racer seat/tail section coming in that also locks on with Yamaha's set up. So I have three seat possibilities - I like variety. Finally worked up custom graphics for the flat trackish number plates, tank, and tail section. So I'm cruising down a different path. My son-in-law picked up an FTR1200, so it kind of runs in the extended family, flat track fans. I did some racing on a Bultaco and he did some on a Honda TRX400 or 450.

Still it's fun to look at whatever is being done. Like that fairing. I don't so much see it as retro as I do just plain good styling. Harley stuck a quarter fairing with a round headlight on the 750 Street Rod, looking good. I think both yours and the HD look better than the Kaw W800. A touch more style than the old school version. You know the rear fender might look good in the same color green as the bike, with the black extension gone of course. Often the BSA and Triumph of the 50s-70s had painted fenders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really dislike all "nose" they are big and ugly. But I have to admit that this one is small enough to look cool. Still won't put these on mine !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ KLX678 I actually like the stock fender (minus the licence plate) but I would like that set up on a solo seat. Would require a plate holder for the rear wheel I think though. It’s all personal preference as you say. I love flat tracks and huge fan of the FTR1200 so family has excellent taste. Also funny you mentioned the HD, I thought the fender for the livewire was decent too, love that seat too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have one of the low buck ebay special fender extension eliminator/plate mount, $39, see how it works. Someone here did as well and has it installed, wulf I think. The schools are gonna shut down here in Ohio so I may get some shop time if I can do so. Things may accelerate a bit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
that is the stock with the gp moto exhaust cover from the mt07, bike already had it. Big fan of the fairing, think it looks good in all the colours, love the green too!
Great looking bike, flows together very nice.

I really like the look of that exhaust - does it change the sound? I'm not looking for "loud" simply a bit more depth to the tone...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great looking bike, flows together very nice.

I really like the look of that exhaust - does it change the sound? I'm not looking for "loud" simply a bit more depth to the tone...
No not particularly, I’m looking for something with a bit more depth too. The issue I’m having is that all the ones I want aren’t homologated and those that are end up costing a fortune.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts