XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I installed the headlight fairing from S2 Concepts in France. The fairing forms a part of their 'Black Frogg' kit, which I think is a pretty good look for these bikes, maybe even a contender against the JvB Super 7. THe headlight is very similar in style to the Super 7 version and really shortens the profile of the bike. I have to say I have always been pretty turned off by the fugly stock bucket they put on the XSR as stock. That and the ridiculously long rear fender really elongates what I think short by a short, beefy little brute of a bike.

Ordering the part was a bit tricky as the site is all in french, but with Google Translate it wasn't too difficult, and the guys at S2 were very helpful.

So the part is pretty good quality, came painted (paint job could have been done better) in matte black and with all necessary mounting hardware (including two leftover brackets that I have no idea what they were for... always a good sign). This may have been avoided if the instructions weren't so crappy - one page black and white photo that tells you where to stash wires was the entirety of the written help you can expect.

I used two micro LED indicators in place of the top fixing screws to secure it at the top. This was made possible by the fact that the indicators had M6 threads, which is pretty rare when it comes to indicators. If not for those bad boys I don't know what I would have done for turn signals.

THere is a bit of a gap between the fairing and the forks, but I plan on closing that up a bit with some black fork shrouds made of PVC pipe that I saw someone else on the forum do (credit to that person, thanks!).

Next up is an R&G tail tidy to shorten up the rear end, and a black radiator cover.

Also, don't ask why half of the photos are on the side, I don't know.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looking great! At least the installation manual comes with English too, I was expecting it to be in full french with the way you described their site. Where did you get the signal lights?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the part is pretty good quality, came painted (paint job could have been done better) in matte black and with all necessary mounting hardware (including two leftover brackets that I have no idea what they were for... always a good sign). This may have been avoided if the instructions weren't so crappy - one page black and white photo that tells you where to stash wires was the entirety of the written help you can expect.

I used two micro LED indicators in place of the top fixing screws to secure it at the top. This was made possible by the fact that the indicators had M6 threads, which is pretty rare when it comes to indicators. If not for those bad boys I don't know what I would have done for turn signals.
Hi, did you have to cut the original headlight since that is much longer than the S2 fairing? Or does the fairing come with the new back side of the headlight where you keep just the front end with the bulb and reflector?

Is the fairing watertight so that the water does not get inside of the headlight?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey mate.
Just got their bucket and started install today. Wondering if you are able to assist as I am having difficulty installing the lamp back into the new fairing.
If you recall, there is a bracket that holds up some of the plugs of the wiring harness. (Attached pic) did you have to move this or remove it at all? For the love of god I have been trying to move around the cables but still can't get the light to clip into where it needs to sit. Any info would be of assistance. Cheers.

TP the 2 brackets are actually for the indicator, but looks like you've found a new solution to this anyway..
I am installing the Motogadget M.Blaze pins for a super minimal look.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I mounted my S2, I cut off the lower tube, which you are referring to, in your picture.

Coming from Enduro bikes I was used to remove the fairing and the headlight in once. So I installed first the headlight bowl in the S2 fairing. By holding the fairing to the the attachment points, you will see, that the lower part of the sub frame tube has to be cut off. That was what I did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Hombacher,
thanks for the swift response mate. much appreciated.

i figured this was necessary but with zero mentioned of it in their instructions i needed to make sure it 'must' be done. i am no welder, so would hate to have to back track for not double checking!

Did you use a dremel or a similar tool??
also, can i ask you for your opinion since you have enduro background: what are your thoughts on weather proofing of the wiring harness now that the cables are quite exposed? the OEM headlight bucket is obviously quite good at keep it all away from the rain. but with the S2 system it is really quite vulnerable. wondering if i need to be extra clean with waterproofing the junctions and bullet connectors i am using for the new turn signals.

·
Registered
249 Posts
These are two cuts, left and right at this little tube frame. If available, use a Dremel, or what I did with a small bow saw. Quick and dirty...
To remove the frame by unscrewing would be a **** of work, as I remember. If even possible, it is screwed together with the main switch?

The Yamaha wiring is quite good protected against weather, rain and moisture. If you are living in a 'sea climate' you may know some home remedies for additional protection against corrosion. One can be to apply a little dab of grease before you connect plug and socket. But see by yourself, most or all connectors are sealed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Hombacher,

I’ve also started my adventure today to install the S2 Concept Black Frogg Headlight Fairing.

I’m facing the same issue with those 2 tubes, but i’m seeing that mine is different from the other post.

Even so, I also have to cut them, correct?

In which place do you recommend to cut?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey mate.
I'd just chop it at the lower tab, then test out the light to see if you bought enough space.
If not, creep up the two arms and go up further as required.

Started on mine but my last 2 dremel discs snapped in the process.. Need to buy some more.
Don't forget to sand down the cut edges to make sure they don't cut up your wiring!

·
Registered
10 Posts
After getting this fitted do any of you think it would be possible to fit an aftermarket LED bulb into the fairing possibly using the outer ring from original light or maybe 3d printing something if required? Want to try and achieve the JVB look but for a bit less ££!

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
After getting this fitted do any of you think it would be possible to fit an aftermarket LED bulb into the fairing possibly using the outer ring from original light or maybe 3d printing something if required? Want to try and achieve the JVB look but for a bit less ££!

Cheers
Jon
Anyone? really keep to get this ordered and fitted but would like to tie the whole job up as one with the LED bulb.

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Jon

Not sure what you're actually trying to achieve here - do you just want the bulb to be replaced by LED or you want the full unit to fit into the S2 concept's fairing?
If you're looking to reuse the original XSR ring as you've described I'd imagine you will need to use a drop in LED conversion unit that is made specifically for the XSR bucket?

I found that there is very little play with the S2 fairing ie - super shallow. I really had to push the cables around and make sure all the cables weren't getting damaged as I pressed the light unit back into the fairing. Depending on the product - if it's any deeper than the OEM unit you probably wont be able to fit it in. 3D printing would surely be possible but sounds like a lot of trial and error to get it right, unless you're a printing wizard!

Anyone? really keep to get this ordered and fitted but would like to tie the whole job up as one with the LED bulb.

Cheers
Jon

·
Registered
25 Posts
have been riding around with the fairing on for a few month now but finally got the gaiters on. got lowered bars too and fed the electrical wiring internally. Think S2 has really done a good job with their fairing and although I do prefer the Super 7 version, the S2 is totally worth the savings.

20200331_155418.jpg 20200331_155437.jpg 20200331_155432.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone noticed that after cutting off that bracket and installing front fairing, steering became lighter or it is just me?

·
Registered
1 Posts
have been riding around with the fairing on for a few month now but finally got the gaiters on. got lowered bars too and fed the electrical wiring internally. Think S2 has really done a good job with their fairing and although I do prefer the Super 7 version, the S2 is totally worth the savings.

View attachment 24074 View attachment 24075 View attachment 24076
Really like the look this but was wondering does the fairing just bolt on with the two nuts at the bottom or does it attach at the top as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts