XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't overly thrilled to learn from this short video on the MT07 that they are prone to rust due to the cost cutting apart from the engine (which Yamaha spend a fair bit on developing). I'm guessing this transfers to the XSR as it's basically the same bike. if anything is going to rust it will sure do it here in S Wales where the weather is damp most of the year.
I have acquired a can of ACF 50 and I wondered if anyone else has used it and how I would go about applying it to as much as the bike as possible before I stick it in the shed for winter. It sprays on like a foam so needs to be worked in with a rag. Do i cover the whole bike in it or just some areas? Getting it on the inside of the swinging arm near the spindle looks pretty awkward as does other parts of the bike.

·
Registered
349 Posts
A number of complaining riders live near the coasts where there is salt in the air. A bike on the east coast of the U.S. will get rust where it wouldn't if anywhere else in the U.S. Florida is horrible for rust. If the mist from the air can rest on the bike it will get in pores in the paint and start rust. Places like where I live, the mist is just water and maybe some dirt. Of course if one rides in the winter here, the roads are salted and rust will be a problem there.

One way to deal with it is to spray the bike with WD40 or the like.

Here's what I found on line...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wasn't overly thrilled to learn from this short video on the MT07 that they are prone to rust due to the cost cutting apart from the engine (which Yamaha spend a fair bit on developing). I'm guessing this transfers to the XSR as it's basically the same bike. if anything is going to rust it will sure do it here in S Wales where the weather is damp most of the year.
I have acquired a can of ACF 50 and I wondered if anyone else has used it and how I would go about applying it to as much as the bike as possible before I stick it in the shed for winter. It sprays on like a foam so needs to be worked in with a rag. Do i cover the whole bike in it or just some areas? Getting it on the inside of the swinging arm near the spindle looks pretty awkward as does other parts of the bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use Muc-Off Motorcycle Protector as I find ACF-50 hard to apply from an aerosol. When I run out of Muc-off this winter I will try spraying the can of ACF50 into the lid and brushing it on. Swing arm is particularly susceptible given location and thin paint, and my footrest hanger side plates will need repainting next spring as already wearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts