XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XSR700, 2009 Yamaha R6
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is rust forming on the top of the fuel tank. Specifically where the fuel cap meets the tank. What. The. ****.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What kind of environment do you keep it in? I've ben through a couple rainy days but otherwise the bike is mainly parked inside and I haven't seen any rust on mine. Looks pristine to me. I haven't heard of anyone else mentioning rust in or around the filler neck.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Rust on the rim of a fuel inlet isn't unusual. The filler inlet is steel, gas strips away anything that might prevent rust, so even a little moisture will eventually cause surface rust. My truck has it around the filler. I think there is light rust around the rim on my 650.

One way to possibly prevent it is to wipe a bit of oil or grease on the area. It will eventually wash away too, but just do it every now and again.

Be glad, I understand the tank. itself, is plastic, which is a good thing. If not, you might consider going to a truck radiator/fuel tank repair shop to have the tank cleaned and coated to avoid rust. Moisture gets in gas, and settles out to the bottom of tanks, causing rust. Clogs carbs and ruins tanks. My SR500 had to have soldering done on a seam and the inside coated with RedKote to seal the metal against rust.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't think it is legal to have a plastic gas tank in the U.S. Underneath the aluminum shrouds, it is a steel gas tank.
Just an occasional light wipe with a rag with a bit of oil or grease on it is a good idea.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700, 2009 Yamaha R6
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to rub some grease on the rim of the tank and not worry about it. It's just where the tank touches the cap. The bike is kept in a garage, has seen some rain while riding, but was really just surprised to see it and curious if I was the only one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't think it is legal to have a plastic gas tank in the U.S. Underneath the aluminum shrouds, it is a steel gas tank.
Just an occasional light wipe with a rag with a bit of oil or grease on it is a good idea.
Think you are right. I don't know about the legality, but from what I saw of a 900 tank for sale on ebay it is steel.

A bit of grease on the rim or maybe some gas resistant wax would take care of the issue if done on occasion. Maybe stick a candle in some gas and see if it eats the wax. If not, rub candle wax around the opening.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Plenty of bikes sold in the US now and in the past have plastic tanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I may stand corrected. Thinking back the 1st generation Prius had a "plastic" fuel tank bladder thing. I will search now for any motorcycles that may have them stock from the factory. I know IMS and Clarke both had/have aftermarket plastic tanks for off-road bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I may stand corrected. Thinking back the 1st generation Prius had a "plastic" fuel tank bladder thing. I will search now for any motorcycles that may have them stock from the factory. I know IMS and Clarke both had/have aftermarket plastic tanks for off-road bikes.
I know both the Guzzi V85 and the KTM 790 Adventure have plastic tanks, and they're brand new.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It is about the construction material, regular old style tanks allow the aromatics blended in the fuel to leach through it - aka pollution. The new tank material will not allow it. The reason why there are those red "gas" containers. They have the proper material at least as a liner.

Either way, both fuel tanks would have the metal ring at the top and I think the rust problem has been resolved for the most part.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So, went for a ride in the country yesterday, got bombarded with sprinklers and hay wagons, and dirt dusters, and decided to deep clean today. And, thought I was going crazy about the metal fuel tank (2018 XSR), thinking maybe I was confusing it with my Honda CB300R, which is a metal tank with a plastic surround. So, took all the panels off to really clean it, and it is metal. There is a plastic panel on it between the tank and outside shrouds, but it is a steel gas tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts