XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my bike is in winter storage at my folks’ place, I thought it would be a good time to fiddle with some of it. I really dig the retro dirt bike look so I bought some S2 concept fork gaiters, and some headlight wrapping foil. Also I fitted a +130% H4 bulb to replace that dead firefly that used to try to light the road ahead of me. All in all not too hard of a job (get some help holding your bike as you remove the fork and all is well) so it was fun doing it!

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if you look under the bike, I have used some wooden blocks under the belly pan to prop the bike up when removing the forks. You can’t use a front paddock stand of course so you have to make sure it stays up somehow.

Sadly, the exhaust pipes run alongside the belly pan so you need to be careful where you place the blocks, in order to have a level underside and not to damage or bend your exhaust pipe. I’ve put the blocks more to the front, where the exhaust runs flush with the belly pan for an inch or two.

As soon as you have removed the wheel/brake calipers (don’t forget the abs sensor at the right caliper, it’s just one screw)/fender you can loosen the bolts on the top and bottom triple clamps. Then the forks slide out easily, if it takes too much effort, just make sure you have loosened the bolts far enough.

Then just slide the gaiters over them and assemble the front in reverse order. Bottom bolts need 23nm of torque, top needs 26nm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I struggle with this when you complain about light output.
You installed a better bulb to improve light output.
You then put a yellow film and a tape cross on the glass both restricting light output.

Whats more important - have the bike visually pleasing to your eye,
or your eye being able to see the road at night.

Just saying, if your happy thats all that matters really.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get where you’re coming from, and that was also the reasoning behind fitting a brighter bulb. I really wanted to have the yellow headlight so my condition was that I didn’t fit it with the standard bulb installed. The internal reflection of the housing makes a bright enough shine to mitigate any negative effects of the black tape

1 - 4 of 4 Posts