XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was researching installing a set of fork gators on my XSR, I noticed a few people mentioning trouble removing the OEM stone guards, using dremel tools, and even damaging their forks a bit in the process. I was worried about this, so I tried a different approach that ended up working out very well. I thought I would mention it here in case anyone else was considering fork gators and was worried about removing the stone guards.

What I did was really simple. I took a heat gun (a hair dryer would work fine) and heated up the plastic stone guards a bit. I did this before even putting the bike on a rear stand and elevating the front tire so it would be as stable as possible. But that meant the plastic fender, and obviously the fork seals were in close proximity to the stone guards, so I did not use much heat at all. It only took a little bit of heat, and I was able to get some slop and wiggle the stone guards back and forth by hand pretty easily.

I cant stress enough, this did not take much heat. Don't melt your fender or fork seals trying this. I never got the stone guards too hot that I couldn't keep a firm grip on them. After only a minute or so of heating, it almost seemed like I could pull the guards off with my hands, but they were still a bit stubborn. So I took a soft piece of wood and put under the bottom lip of the stone guard, and tapped it upward with a hammer, working opposite sides. The stone guards popped right off, with no damage to the forks, or even the stone guards. They still have their plastic tabs attached and could be reinstalled, if need be.

Anyway, this process worked out really well. It took me under 5 minutes to get both guards off. The rest of the fork gator installation process was straight forward and has been pretty well documented, so I won't go into that. Hope this little tip helps someone.

Best,
Shane

·
Registered
27 Posts
great info! thanks!

i'm still waiting for my new springs and shock and when i get them I'll immediately install my gaiters as well when upgrading the suspension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts