XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. 2017 XSR700, Australian version. Bike has been stolen and recovered and I need to remove the lock from the top triple clamp. It has two rivets holding it in place via a 10mm cone of some sort - keen on knowing whether anyone has tried to remove - the parts diagram shows a bolt, which would be easy.

And so if I drill it out - do I then need to tap a hole to use a bolt in the future??? Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Those are shear bolts.
You have to drill out the heads with a drill bit (probably 10mm). Then you can remove the ignition lock and unscrew the screw remainders with pliers. To fix the ignition lock in the new triple clamp you need 2 new breakaway bolts. Tighten them until the screw head breaks off at the predetermined breaking point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I watched a couple youtube videos of guys doing this. Both guys used a dremel cutting wheel to to create a slot for a screwdriver. One guy used a hammer to initially break them loose and the unscrew. The other guy used a propane torch to loosen threadlock and then uncrewed them. I was thinking of trying those damaged screw removal bits. One side is to drill a hole and then you flip it around and try to reverse it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi PepperJack - not long ago I sheared a bolt in a swingarm. I then used an extractor and the extractor snapped off in the hole. Will never use one of those again - took me hours and hours to grind out with a dremel using carbide bits - about 4 of them. Cost me heaps of time and money. So i think I'll either do the screwdriver approach, drill out or use a dremel to grind out. Will let you know...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts