XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Rarely clean my chain but being semi-retired I have time to keep it wet, I hit it with chainwax before riding out for the day, pretty much every day.

I should be ready in the next 4K miles for a refresh of the drive parts. Yamaha is running more backorders right now than normal, so order up what you'll need ahead of time.

Here's my list I dropped off for order at the speed shop* today for reference. I replace some stuff the first time I touch it that's not necessary, just because I know a gorilla torqued stuff on at the factory. YMMV

Yamaha
NUT, SELF-LOCKING
6 x 90185-10011-00 $2.94
Sprocket spring nuts

Yamaha
NUT
1 x 90179-22018-00. $10.67
Countershaft front sprocket nut

Yamaha
WASHER, CONICAL SPRING
1 x 90208-22002-00 $7.51
Sprocket nut pinned washer

Yamaha
SEAL, GUARD
1 x 1WS-22151-00-00 $10.04
Swingarm chain wear guard

Yamaha
BRACKET 1
1 x 1WS-2537W-00-00. $10.06
Sprocket "plate" secured by 6 nuts

Yamaha
SEAL 1
1 x BU2-22358-00-00 $4.10
Swingarm chain wear sticker

Sprockets (drivenracing.com)
1 x 1036-525-16T FR sprocket
1 x 5008-525-44T RR sprocket**
1 x DID 525 VX3 Gold & Black chain

I was expecting to do a 520 conversion but looking at it closely it's a yawn for me, I'm not trying to shave tenths off of lap times, I just want to hooligan 'round town. It seems to eat swingarm chain wear guards faster than oem 525.

The oem front sprocket is (likely) JT with the rubber dampers on both sides to quiet the chain 2 db. Yes, 2 db... I'm feeling sleepy...yawn... Here is the JT Sprockets catalog page of the XSR700 sprockets for reference - JT Sprockets

*If you don't go to Yamaha for repairs, throw your local speed shop some biz this time of year, so they will be here next summer to service your bike

** Stock bike is 16/43, I run 16/44 teeth

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a link that says they found the service manual torque spec was incorrect at 80 N/m for sprocket nuts. That's way too 馃敟. The correct spec for sprocket spring nuts is 30 N/m according to the source that found the error in the manual.

Registered
One way to deal with that sort of issue if nothing has been found and it doesn't make sense. If I think a torque value is wrong, I look up the general torque spec for it. Usually within a small amount of a correct OEM spec.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
If I think a torque value is wrong, I look up the general torque spec for it
Good advice, do you have a number in your head for reducing torque when anti-seize applied? I've been using about 25%, sometimes 30% reduction in torque.

Also curious what you and Wolf think about 520 conversion, I'm just neutural, seems ok with or without, both ok for street, only track guys need to care.

Registered
Good advice, do you have a number in your head for reducing torque when anti-seize applied? I've been using about 25%, sometimes 30% reduction in torque.

Also curious what you and Wolf think about 520 conversion, I'm just neutural, seems ok with or without, both ok for street, only track guys need to care.
Yeah, I wouldn't do it just for the street. Yawn +1 for me

Registered

Rule of thumb i would use 2-3 ugga duggas of torque, always works for me... until it doesn't

1 - 6 of 6 Posts