XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to this any help appreciated.

Just want to make sure my rear schock is setup right for me. Being not a average size 6'2" 120kg I'm probably heavier then most riders on xsr700 so nearly weight of a rider and pillion.

Any recomendations now much to set the rear shock on and what tyre pressures to run

thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
probably wants set to max... but bear in mind it has limited adjustment and very poor damping. It's good enough for me - 5'10 80kg - but I would definitely notice an upgrade, so I'm imagining it bouncing all over the shop with you at 120kg. An upgraded shock I think would be essential to get it anywhere near correct.

I'd also be plumping for a spring and oil kit for the forks, if I were you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm around 5'11" and 115kg and I set the preload from 3 to 4. The bike has a max load of around 180kg so there's no need for you to set it all the way to max when riding alone and without any bags.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
There are no hard or fast rules on preload....it's really a case of trial and error. A lot depends on your riding style, your weight and whether you're carrying a pillion or not. The standard setting is 2 notches from 'softest' for solo riding. I set mine one notch up on this, for a slightly firmer ride - I'm probably 'average' size/weight and my riding style is not over-sporty! If you want to push the bike hard into corners, then you'll want a firmer setting and possibly an aftermarket set up. I'd certainly adjust it up a couple of notches for a pillion. A lot of bikers have an almost obsessive need to constantly tweak suspension - for most riders, if it feels OK and the bike doesn't wallow or bounce you out of your seat, best to leave it alone!

Reactions: wex700

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks on basic of this in my case being 120kg and 6'2" I recon then at least 4 notches from softest least.

Its just case of making the bike more solid on the road. Time to try

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey guys

Looking for some advice on rear suspension sag ...

I’m 6’ and weigh around 100kg
When I have the preload cranked to the hardest setting of 9 I’m still getting :
Static sag = 5mm
Rider sag = 32mm

According to most “rules of thumb” of rider sag being 25mm - 30mm I’m still out of the ideal range.

My question is, am I causing myself more potential problems by going right up to the hardest setting ? Would it be wiser to come down a few notches and accept I’ll be even further out of the ideal range ? Just worried I’m limiting the suspension travel way too much. And unfortunately I don’t have the funds right now to upgrade the rear shock !

Cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/23/know-how-to-set-your-suspension-sag
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle-suspension-tech-tips-how-to-set-rider-sag-mc-garage
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosing-kit/2006/november/feb23-05-how-to-set-suspension-sag/

Light reading above.

a sag of 32mm vs 30 is not a big deal. IF you're having a hard time getting your pre-load to give you the correct sag...you might need heavier fork springs over the stock rates to suit your weight. I am running 0.95 springs which are 0.166345 n/mm springs or 0.017005 kg/mm...stock springs are lighter.

I'm 6'1" and weigh 105kg or about 232lbs. I have after markeet shock as well--also sprung for my weight. If you're having a hard time getting your sag adjusted on front and rear, do some research-find the correct spring rates for your weight and swap springs front and rear accordingly. Cheap way to get your suspension working in the correct range for you and your gear.

FWIW I run my sag on the less plush side as I tend to ride more aggressively and also take my 700 to the track. This means I have a little more range in my suspension...if I run more sag the ride is a little more plush, but I donn't have the extra few to deal with bumps at a faster pace...that's a preference, not a rule.

Matt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Matt will take rear any suggestions on tyre pressures as I think the stock are too low for heavy riders.

I'm findhing at speed anything above 70mph bike squirms a lot on the rear , only think I can think off is tyres are too soft. As rest is pretty sorted

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really appreciate all the advice on this site.

I just upped my shock setting from standard (3) to 7 and the difference has been remarkable, it's significantly better.

The bike is a lot smoother, bumps in the road don't go straight up my spine and at speed the bike feels much more planted.

It's really made me think about upgrading the shocks all around.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mine was at max (9) when I got the bike secondhand, clicked it down to 6, will suck it and see. Was way too hard for urban riding, bouncing me out of the seat, seems much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts