XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering why my bike has 8mm bleed nipples on the front calipers, yet a 10mm on the rear - anyone else's like this? My bleed tool only fits 8mm so have to bleed this one the old fashioned way.........

·
Registered
328 Posts
I never noticed this phenomenon. I haven't bled my brakes yet but normally I swap out the regular blead screws for speed bleaders because it makes the process an easier job. My question now is, are the threaded part of the bolts normal or also larger in size?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never noticed this phenomenon. I haven't bled my brakes yet but normally I swap out the regular blead screws for speed bleaders because it makes the process an easier job. My question now is, are the threaded part of the bolts normal or also larger in size?
Well mine is, looks to me like it might have had a repair at some point - I bled the brake and it made no difference, it is still as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Awful.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I looked for some speed bleeder screws and there are a few brands out there. I also found screws in 8,9.5, and 10 mm. I'm sure the front one is a 8 mm but whether or not the rear is a 10 or 9.5, I'm not sure. It might be wisest to get an OEM replacement to be sure you've got the correct screw and hopefully if the PO did a brake job he didn't mess it up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OEM replacement nipple I ordered (8x1.25mm) was too small for the rear caliper nipple, yet fit the front calipers, so thinking mine has been tapped, interested to know what others are?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, mine looks like tis had a problem, and been tapped larger - not a biggie, calipers are cheap for the XSR and it does work even though it's shite (lot of weight forward I guess)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mine is a 2018 and the rear is definitely a 10 mm and it's box stock. It is possible that Yamaha used two different calipers. I did loom up the screw numbers and the front and rear had different numbers. 8 mm is more common for Yamaha brake bleeding screws. This 10 on the rear is the first one I come across for Yamaha's and I've had quite a few.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts