XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, literally just joined up after finding you guys instantly fantastic. I'm pretty New to biking and bought a beautiful brand spanking New XSR700 yesterday. When I got home and did all the usual investigations of what's what and where, I found that the rear brake wasn't operating the brake light. Did a quick search, found you wonderful lot and immediately solved the problem. So a massive thank you there.

I wonder if anyone else has found the rear brake to be a bit on the poor side? A real noobie question but is there a big improvement once they're worn in a bit?

Cheers everybody and thank you for having me here.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine is also brand new and also utter **** on a fish to be honest but not many bikes have a decent rear brake. Once the pads bed im sure it will improve a little but thats the rear brakes for ya....useful at very slow speeds in wet conditions really to avoid the front from spilling.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers dude. I was starting to feel a bit paranoid. I've just changed up from a Bonnie that had an utterly awesome back brake! Blooming uncomfortable though, couldn't ride for more than half an hour without getting butt and backache.

The XSR is just a stunning ride!! I'll work on wearing in that rear brake then.

Cheers mate and all the best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pretty much concur with what Mattswan says. I've mostly always found the rear brakes lacking on a lot of bikes, but as in most cases the majority of braking is on the front, it's never caused me a prob.
A mate of mine has a prosthetic right leg, and hasn't modified his gixxer at all for his disability, so he cant and doesn't use his back brake at all. Seems to get on fine with it and has been doing so for years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you still don't like the rear pads once they've bedded down, you could always get some aftermarket pads and they're generally pretty cheap for some decent ones.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Their is alot of travel in my rear brake but ive only done 26 miles so i have no experience other than that initial ride

·
Registered
400 Posts
On that point about pads has anyone here looked into getting sticker pads?

I see that Brembo and EBC have some for us right now. Something to keep in mind while working in your OEM pads and using them till times up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Branded brake pads

Hi guys, bit of a noobie question. Brembo etc pads were mentioned earlier. Does anyone know how much difference they'd make? I've only ever had OEM's so I don't have a clue. Cheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yamaha's (lets say) budget models, tend to have a bit obscure rear brake, it doesn't give that good feedback. The same was happening with my XJ6. The ABS system was activated very often due to that. In the XSR the rear is a bit better, but still needs some work. I don't know what will improve it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So yesterday morning riding to work I noticed that the rear brake on the bike was just not right, it had at least 5-7cm of play before it would start to take up and then was almost non-existent. When I came in to work, I jumped on Dr Google for an answer and came across you fellas. It would seem some of you also seem to have a similar problem. Anyways long story short I rode it home and was thinking there has to be a reason!

Taking a closer look of the rear set brake lever, I noticed that it had lost the pin that connects it directly to the the brake cylinder resulting in me having to push the lever all the way onto the adjusting bolt before the brakes would start working! The pin mustn't have had the retaining clip attached to it or it failed allowing the pin to vibrate it's way out. A quick look through the garage and a replacement bolt with a nylock nut was sourced and fixed the issue. The rear brakes again work instantly and strong like they should!!!

Pics attached....cheers. Tim

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Looks like your brand new bike slipped through the dealer prepping a bit too quickly! A potentially dangerous failure - thanks for the 'heads up'.....I'll be checking mine before I next go out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
@John A - all good mate, works as it should now until I can get the replacement part from the dealership and @Tigerjohn without a doubt! I actually sent a photo to the owner of the store as soon as I realised to show him, then I checked the pre-delivery check list that all new bikes have done prior to us getting them in our grubby little hands, of which, the brakes were checked and cleared as operational! Ooooops.

I do wonder how many less mechanically minded riders and newbies to motorcycling there are all over the world thinking that this is 'just how they are are!' Anyways hope it helps some of you out.

Cheers Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts