XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

Hope you can help I noticed the other day after changing the oil on my bike that the rear brake was barely there I have to really stamp down to get anything. Even that’s no where near what it used to be. I’ve checked all the fluid and seems fine can’t see any signs of damage etc..

Suggestions welcome

Rich

·
Registered
219 Posts
Did you change the oil, or did the shop do it for you?
If it was you, did you spill or contaminate the rotor/pads with any oil?
If not, has the travel/position of the foot brake level changed and is now at a different height from before?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply..
I changed the oil and yes I did spill some, I couldn’t get the filter off so it was quite messy. I guess it’s possible but I don’t see how the oil would have got on the pads as I would have thought it would drip down and away (being on a slope). Should I take them off and clean them

·
Super Moderator
620 Posts
I'm struggling to work out how changing the oil could affect the operation of the rear brake! I wonder if there's simply a coincidence here? Try adjusting your brake pedal so there is less travel and check the condition/wear of your rear pads. I can't see engine oil spilling as far as the rear brake disc.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know it sometimes seems silly but the old adage "what did you do just before having the problem" usually tends to point you in the right direction. If you did somehow manage to get oil on the disk or pads, you should see some signs of it and that would obviously cause poor braking performance. You didn't mention the number of miles on the machine or amount of pad material left which can also have a definite affect on braking. Brake problems rarely just pop up without a observable sign.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all
Thanks for the replies.. bike is 2017 and only done 6k miles. There is plenty of life in the pads and I can’t see any signs of oil getting in there. I haven’t done anything else to cause it so maybe I’ll try moving the position of the brake lever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts