XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding season is here, and I've switched from asking "which bike do I want" to "how do I prevent problems other owners have encountered". I'd like to have a list of the more common/costly problems to discuss with the dealership before I sign.

Now I know that for every one person who had an issue but made a youtube video griping about it, there are 10,000 riders who don't have that problem but remain silent, but being a B type, I want to know what I'm getting into. So far I've heard of 3 issues, but have no idea how prevalent they are, so even a simple "yeah, I had that problem too" would be appreciated.

Here's my list so far:
1) corrosion, on the swing arm mainly, but other areas as well, within the first few years; I'm thinking that some hydrophobic spray on may mitigate this
2) starter switch sticking; one owner was using "dry" grease on the switch but had not problems
3) gear box lock-up when downshifting, which for one guy almost caused a collision on the highway, and another rider who had a warranty replacement of a faulty starter solenoid and starter relay plus switch gear

I would love to get my hands on any tech bulletins and recalls (yes, I can google that myself :), for this and the fz/mt 07's.

Anyway, super excited! With any luck I'll be breaking her in next weekend!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum! Where are you from?

Just asking, because the XSR is sold in some countries since 2016. To search for problems or warranty issues, you should source in these countries. The MT-07 is even sold for a bit longer.
The CP2 engined bikes are one of the top sellers in Germany and high up in the statistics for sold and licensed. I assume this will be the same in some other European countries.

I am not effected from the problems you have listed. But what is the conclusion of it?

1) Corrosion is something which depends on the area, living at the sea side will cause other damages, than people on the continent are used. Your personal efforts in carrying for your bike will also have influence on corrosion. In total even the XSR is a low budget bike, which will tend to corrosion, by using it all the year in snow, salt and rain, and whole the year outside parking.

Some people received a new swing arm due to corrosion, and there was a little upgrade with some adhesive under the chain slider at the swing arm axle. The exchange was a no brainer and was executed by the dealers.

2) starter switch locking? For me the design of the starter switch is one of the best since decades. Kill switch and starter as one single switch, unbelievable! I did not hear about problems with that switch.

3) gear box problems? I only heard about people with two or more left hands, which failed already by adjusting the shift lever. Instead of screwing the linkage, they repositioned the clamps on the shafts. That caused a blocking...
For me this is not a warranty issue and will happen to them with every other bike, they start to screw at.

In general it is never a problem with Yamaha, if there is a warranty thing. They sort it out. But to be honest, the XSR is low budget, it is well developed within the Yamaha standards, it is sold in thousands and under normal conditions you will have no problems with it.

I do not know if this will help you,

BR
hombacher

·
Registered
50 Posts
One thing you might have googled by now and otherwise will probably have seen on the bottom right of this page is the Factory Recall for a chain guard. It's really not that exiting, two bolts have to be replaced and it's a five minute job by the dealership. Check if the previous owner has had it done yet, otherwise pop by a dealership and they will replace them under warranty.

From the points you bring in I only recognise the gearbox. I believe some other forum member has had it too. In my case, I was riding around in 4th gear when I was caught off guard by a dog running from between some cars. I made a full stop but forgot to switch down to the 1st gear. So when I wanted to do so I gave the gear pedal a couple of kicks down and my gear position indicator went all clear. As in; no indication, not even a - for neutral (also the neutral light wasn't on). I waited for a couple of seconds and then it went to 3rd in the display. I've had it another time, but this time I slowly released the clutch lever and the gearbox immediately popped into the right gear.

In short, it was my own fault but it gave me a little surprise. Don't shift down multiple gears when you are standing still, and when it happens just slowly release your clutch to pop it in gear.

For the rest, I've had it for 3 months and have done about 1200kms (or 800-ish miles) and not a single fault, this bike is all about fun!

[Edit; here is the post I mentioned: https://www.xsr700forums.com/forum/337-engine-technical-discussion/2569-shifting-gears.html]

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Riding season is here, and I've switched from asking "which bike do I want" to "how do I prevent problems other owners have encountered". I'd like to have a list of the more common/costly problems to discuss with the dealership before I sign.
Here's my list:

• Riding it is too much fun
  • It looks far too cool
  • It's far too reliable and never breaks down

Reactions: Leo
1 - 8 of 8 Posts