XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough the last couple days to put some miles on the bike in November, which is a rarity where I live. Just a week or so ago I had decided I wanted to to a make-over and dress my bike up in C-Racer bodywork. Sometimes it's good to revisit why you have something in the first place before you change it. I'm just about as satisfied as a person can be with the bike I have and after putting a couple hundred miles on it I rediscovered why I had, and kept, the thing in the first place. I just can't find any real fault with the thing as is. The C-Racer setup was going to cost me about $700 and I knew the seat was going to limit my mileage by quite a bit. I commonly do 200 miles per trip (10 minute gas stop in the middle maybe) and I knew that was going out the door with the C-Racer flat track seat. Then to help me get a little deeper in the decision making process, I took a current picture of my bike as it stands and one of a Completed C-Raver re-do and compared the two. I had to take a step back because my current bike was my favorite and the one I decided I wanted to be on. The C-Racer setup is the one for some people but right now just not for me. I'm glad I took the time to rethink my motives because as can be seen by the amount of used hardware on this forum, some things stick and some don't, especially when selling a bike that has been modified or changed from OEM.

·
Registered
380 Posts
You do know the C-Racer seat/tail latches on the bike without removing anything, right? I don't know about the number plates though, they may need the rear frame rail removed. But I can swap out the C-Racer seat/tail, the Yamaha solo saddle, and the stock seat without changing anything. Gives some leeway in what I want. The solo seat is most comfortable, but I need the stock seat to put my Saddlemen Tactical Tunnel Bag on the bike for any sort of overnight or more at the moment. That was why I went with the C-Racer XSR700 seat/tail instead of one of their other seat/tails, I can put it on and take it off without doing anything to the bike other than put the key in the seat lock and turn it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do know the C-Racer seat/tail latches on the bike without removing anything, right? I don't know about the number plates though, they may need the rear frame rail removed. But I can swap out the C-Racer seat/tail, the Yamaha solo saddle, and the stock seat without changing anything. Gives some leeway in what I want. The solo seat is most comfortable, but I need the stock seat to put my Saddlemen Tactical Tunnel Bag on the bike for any sort of overnight or more at the moment. That was why I went with the C-Racer XSR700 seat/tail instead of one of their other seat/tails, I can put it on and take it off without doing anything to the bike other than put the key in the seat lock and turn it.
Yes, I understand, the C-Racer has the same latching mechanism as the stock seat but I still feel that for the kind of long haul riding I do most of the time the shallow seat (which I believe gives the setup it's good looks) just wouldn't be good for my rear end. According to their info, the padding is only 20 mm thick that's not much for my boney butt. The kit may be something I consider in the future but right now it's just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If it's functional, do it. If it's purely cosmetic (and reduces function/comfort)....no-one sees it when your 'arse' is resting on it. Just my opinion. I'm too old to put form over function. I have the air hawk type cushion on the stock seat and it's made a huge difference to my comfort. Does it look good? Beh!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've been looking at the Triumph Trident as my next bike once the UK winters have trashed my XSR, but..........it'll have to be bloody good to make me switch from Yamaha. Triumph like to put Union flags all over the bikes, but as they're manufactured in Thailand they shouldn't be allowed to try and tug my British heart strings in such a cheap ass manner.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I figured have it all. A comfy solo saddle for general use, the OEM seat to support the tail pack when I'm over night or more, and the flat track tail for a bit of glitz when I want a bit of flash. Like riding over to Lima Ohio for the AFT Grand National Flat Track races this summer. All with the simple turn of a key and swapping saddles in about 20 seconds.

That was the point being made. The C-Racer XSR seat/tail requires no modification to be fitted other than a bit of sanding where there may be contact points, like at the front, it would have hit the tank cover, so I sanded it a bit so it cleared. I also did a bit on the sides to clear the rails. They could do a bit better trim job when made, but such is life. After doing the bits all is a snap.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've been looking at the Triumph Trident as my next bike once the UK winters have trashed my XSR, but..........it'll have to be bloody good to make me switch from Yamaha. Triumph like to put Union flags all over the bikes, but as they're manufactured in Thailand they shouldn't be allowed to try and tug my British heart strings in such a cheap ass manner.
Just wait a couple years (prob Spring 2022) for the new XSR900 that will be based off the 2021 mt09. It will have lean sensitive IMU traction control and abs and more sophisticated throttle control and ride modes. It will be lighter, prob same weight as our current 700. Was all in on a z900rs in a few years but yamaha may just make it too easy to stick around.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a lot of nice stuff out there that will be released for the 2021 season and I was checking out the 2021 MT07. One thing that I liked was the improvement to the transmission, making for smoother shifting. I'm not bothered by up and down through the gears so much as that neutral to first clunk that seems like you're going to lurch forward. Not just common on the XSR700 either, I've had it on several Yamahas but I never experienced it on my XS650 or even my XS1100. Anyway, the candy store is now open for business but for now I'm keeping the XSR700 because it'll give anything a run for the money.

·
Registered
221 Posts
There's a lot of nice stuff out there that will be released for the 2021 season and I was checking out the 2021 MT07. One thing that I liked was the improvement to the transmission, making for smoother shifting. I'm not bothered by up and down through the gears so much as that neutral to first clunk that seems like you're going to lurch forward. Not just common on the XSR700 either, I've had it on several Yamahas but I never experienced it on my XS650 or even my XS1100. Anyway, the candy store is now open for business but for now I'm keeping the XSR700 because it'll give anything a run for the money.
Yea, no rush the current 700 does it all.
Let's you be super selective if you go for something else down the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts