XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could i ask those who have done the r6 throttle tube switch,
A) what benefits did you see (any downsides?)
The modification works "as advertised". I found the initial novelty is interesting, with the throttle being much (much!) more sensitive, but I switched back to stock a few weeks after because for me personally, doing most of my riding at gentle around-town riding and pretty much never needing to go wide-open-throttle, the stock throttle tube is a better match.

B) is the throttle tube in the link below the correct one (i understand i need to adjust the cable)
That's the correct partnumber (OEM 2C0262400000).
Personally I also ordered OEM 2C0262410000 as the R6 grips have a different texture from the stock XSR700 grip and I couldn't stand having two grips with a different texture.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The modification works "as advertised". I found the initial novelty is interesting, with the throttle being much (much!) more sensitive, but I switched back to stock a few weeks after because for me personally, doing most of my riding at gentle around-town riding and pretty much never needing to go wide-open-throttle, the stock throttle tube is a better match.

That's the correct partnumber (OEM 2C0262400000).
Personally I also ordered OEM 2C0262410000 as the R6 grips have a different texture from the stock XSR700 grip and I couldn't stand having two grips with a different texture.

Thanks for the tips about the grips,

In terms of low speed jerkiness when coming off/on the throttle without using the clutch did you notice that disappear?
As even gently opening or closing the throttle on these bikes nearly launches you forward or backward off the bike

·
Registered
9 Posts
The jerkiness did decrease, but the feeling of being launched backwards of the bike did not as the throttle became so much more sensitive.

I should mention that the throttle cable on my XSR is fairly short; when installing the R6 throttle tube adjusting the throttle cable free play near the handlebars was not enough for me to stop the throttle cable from binding, I also had to create slack on the throttle cable near the master cylinder. (This is a good guide on that). This probably explains the jump in sensitivity for me, so your situation might be different.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
176 Posts
I did this mod, and found an R6 grip-tube that had exactly the same grip as my XSR came with, so everything matched.
Yes, of course, it makes the throttle a bit more abrupt, but I found I got used to it in a few rides.
I had to adjust the cable a tiny bit, to get the idle back down.
It made the frisky-wheelie happy nature of this bike more pronounced.
That's exactly what I was after, I would never switch back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did this mod, and found an R6 grip-tube that had exactly the same grip as my XSR came with, so everything matched.
Yes, of course, it makes the throttle a bit more abrupt, but I found I got used to it in a few rides.
I had to adjust the cable a tiny bit, to get the idle back down.
It made the frisky-wheelie happy nature of this bike more pronounced.
That's exactly what I was after, I would never switch back.
for the life of me i cant find a supplier to buy one over here in the uk,

What youve described is exactly what i want. every seller seems to be based in the US

·
Registered
544 Posts
Did you try to order the throttle tube from a Yamaha dealer? Seems they should have access if Yamaha sold the bike there.

·
Registered
544 Posts
will they stock an 06 r6 throttle tube?
They probably wouldn't have it in stock, but any Yamaha dealer should be able and willing to order you any Yamaha part. Just mention the partnumber you are after (2C0262400000).
As Rawberry said, they can get it for you no problem. Wouldn't be a stocked part, because they seldom need replaced. Not sure how it is where you live, but the dealer I use can probably have one in a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts