XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel like she delivers plenty of power for borderline street-legal use but would still be interested what others think who either got a more powerful ride as their daily driver or used to ride one before (or after?) they went for the little 700! Anything you're missing?

At least on b-roads and the kind of streets I love to ride, she's more than sufficient, for anything else my riding skills would first need to improve rather than my ride :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went from an R1 to the XSR - primarily for comfort & secondly to save my licence!

Before the R1 I always preferred twins due to the power 'grunt' - the R1 was an awesome machine but after two years it just became too much for normal road riding & I couldn't trust myself at speed...

In my local area of the UK (Matlock Bath), the bike is perfect for the twisties - and wind blast is just a minor irritation at higher speeds. I've made more that a few guy's on their new GSXR / CBR's etc look a bit silly on the tighter roads! But they do come back at me when the roads open out.

The XSR has the perfect amount of initial power - I'm more than happy with it & preferred the 700 to the 900 I test rode. Admittedly - once getting to 80+ I do miss the extra 300cc of the R1 - but then again that's exactly why I swapped.

For me its' the perfect bike - power, comfort, customisation options, style.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@GuySal thanks for sharing! My thoughts exactly, anything more and I'd just be closer to loosing my licence, the XSR already constantly tickles me for more throttle :p

Except from the German Autobahn there isn't many places where I'd like to go 80+ for long stretches. Though I guess people doing track days would have a different take on this..

Cheers

·
Registered
344 Posts
I find the xsr700 has more than enough power for regular riding. When I tested the 900, i did not like it at all. I felt like you would never be able to to just ride relaxed

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
238 Posts
2 bikes and a handful of years ago, I had a Hayabusa.
That bike constantly begged to be zipped up to triple digits for a few.........
The XSR700 begs for little wheel lifts at low speeds, but it doesn't scream for triple digit runs.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Personally I'm one of the people who prefer power that can be used most of the time. Never got into the big bores. In 1975 when my friends were all buying Z1s I got an S3 400 two stroke triple, mostly due to price, but partially because in off roading I also went small bore. I kind of find it more fun to use all the power a lot plus the additional skill to make a slower bike work harder and faster/quicker. On the street this also translates to less opportunites to get tickets.

I like the 700, but would be fine with a 500 where I could be full throttle a whole lot more. Plus the lower power is also easier to manage for cornering, usually resulting in higher cornering speeds when riding harder. I think I would have really liked the two stroke sport bikes of the 80s at the time... but not imported. Such is life.

I have ridden my brother's FJ-09 and just more than I want to deal with. So the 700 hit the styling mark for me and works great for what I do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's begging me :p

Love reving the engine up on mountain roads, the power that's available at low revs just seems ideal for these conditions, another very recent example from a lovely road in Germany:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
🤣 Hitting the horn quickly is such a struggle on this bike, Yamaha should get an award for the most counterintuitive button placement! Had to laugh myself when I saw my hectic thumb movements, surprised I managed..

You're welcome, my pleasure!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Fortunately I never focused on hitting my horn button 99-44/100% of the time. If I have time to use the horn I have time to make good riding choices to avoid problems. My horn is seldom used, because it will not make much of any impression anyway. So usually if I use it at all, it is a brief toot to let someone know they did something they shouldn't have - like kind of drifting my way. Otherwise I use it to beep at someone I see.

Most people one would beep at will simply think they did nothing wrong and you're the problem. At least here in the U.S. that's kind of the way it is. You know, the "I own the road and I'm bigger than you, back off peon" attitude.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hitting the horn quickly is such a struggle on this bike, Yamaha should get an award for the most counterintuitive button placement! Had to laugh myself when I saw my hectic thumb movements, surprised I managed..

You're welcome, my pleasure!
The only time I’m able to find the horn is when I don’t mean to while trying to operate my turn signals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Feel like she delivers plenty of power for borderline street-legal use but would still be interested what others think who either got a more powerful ride as their daily driver or used to ride one before (or after?) they went for the little 700! Anything you're missing?

At least on b-roads and the kind of streets I love to ride, she's more than sufficient, for anything else my riding skills would first need to improve rather than my ride :)
I got this bike because of the engine. I normally ride KTM and BMW ADV bikes. When I moved to the US, I wanted something more off road capable so I got a Tenere 700. I was surprised that It was keeping up with the BMWs on the road and with the KTMs on the dirt, with little to no effort. I was so impressed and surprised. I test drove an MT07 but because of my size, I looked ridiculous. Then the sales guy showed me the XSR. Test rode it and was sold. It has all the engine I would ever need. I absolutely love this engine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
It was interesting that Cycle World, in their test of the 900 was saying the 900 wasn't the bike you wanted, the 700, being due in the U.S. was the fun ride. click here

Fact is Zack Courts' Commute review sold me on the 700 without taking any test ride. Click here He felt the MT was a better buy based on price, but I much preferred th XSR because I could see the bike modified as I wanted and almost have done. Oh, and take a look at the video 5:00 minutes in and watch th shadow of the front wheel... 😄 SOLD!

If one might question it further there was this review thga definitely got side tracked click here and turn down the volume :eek: I guess he did do a written review...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts