XSR 700 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's hard to see, but I used a long 1/2" square bar, and a sledge hammer, and I made a hole deep inside my exhaust.
ZERO $$$ and is sounds a few decibles louder, and not in a bad way... the hole is about big enough to slide a #2 pencil through, and it sounds much better, (to me). Slightly similar to a custom exhaust with DB killer installed.
exhaust hole.jpg

Now I'm going to Cerakote it satin black, and send my ECU to 2WDW for $239.
They set a bunch of parameters up to your spec's, and for lifetime, they will remap it if you change your bike, FREE.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since this post, I have punched this hole a bit bigger, I'd say close to 1/2" square.
I am probably in the minority here, but I REALLY like it!
I've ridden with it this way for around 200 mi.
Even with earplugs in, I can now actually hear the bike a bit.
Tiny blips of the throttle ACTUALLY have a little tiny bark.
The bike runs great, slightly audible tiny crackles on decel. (For ME) it is perfect.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since this post, I have punched this hole a bit bigger, I'd say close to 1/2" square.
I am probably in the minority here, but I REALLY like it!
I've ridden with it this way for around 200 mi.
Even with earplugs in, I can now actually hear the bike a bit.
Tiny blips of the throttle ACTUALLY have a little tiny bark.
The bike runs great, slightly audible tiny crackles on decel. (For ME) it is perfect.
the most important thing is that you like it ;)

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could only fool myself for a few days, it's not enough.
That, and neither ECU flash shops I've been in communication with have a map for Hordpower airbox & stock exhaust.
I have really learned to love the Akrapovic Ti system sold for our bikes.
So, unless I have an epiphany, change of heart, or something, I will order one Friday.
Akra zoom.jpg

·
Registered
354 Posts
I could only fool myself for a few days, it's not enough.
That, and neither ECU flash shops I've been in communication with have a map for Hordpower airbox & stock exhaust.
I have really learned to love the Akrapovic Ti system sold for our bikes.
So, unless I have an epiphany, change of heart, or something, I will order one Friday.
View attachment 26323
Watch video on the SC Project CR-T.
Some riding video too, not just parked.

It's like the CR-T got inspiration from Yamaha's can or vise versa. Not sure which came first but so similar looking, even the rivets.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know, I had never really looked closely at SC project, that is a fine system.
It's even available in matte black! FOR $1,457 or $132/mo for a year !!!
Please allow 4-5 weeks from ITALY !!!
Those were deal breakers for me...

·
Registered
354 Posts
You know, I had never really looked closely at SC project, that is a fine system.
And the Akropovic is way cheaper?

Anyway you can get it from us distributor for $1200. Just got to browse more. And it doesn't require a reflash. Is the Akropovic plug n play?

But sound like your sights are set. It looks good on Gnarleydog's dystopian scrambler. It can look good on your neo retro craftsmen street hustler.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can check the scorpion I have, I payed $750 for whole system. theres a video on youtube of how it sounds, also I video taped it howi t sounds on mine if you are interested. Its plug and play so no need for ECU tinkering. SC project is also great option though

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Akrapovic can be ordered for $905.
I already plan an ECU flash (Hordpower airbox $299) sealed that deal.
He will flash my ECU for $200 after I buy an exhaust.
ALL that is $1,405. plus a few for shipping.
Still open to sugestions, I REALLY like the SC... but OUCH...
The Scorpion one sticks out a bit much, by comparison, I prefer ones that are tucked in as much as possible. where you could literally set the bike down on it's side, and they wouldn't contact the ground.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, this is just rambling out loud, this exhaust is the single most expensive item on my project.
And it’s the hardest decision to commit to.
The great debate about how loud I want the bike to be, and how to judge the sound you hear on various YouTube videos. Then, some db killers have a lot more effect than others. Some have a deeper tone, some have a sharp “crackle”…
Some have more dyno proven results, and maps available. And in my odd build, ground clearance is a concern, I’m already building a skid plate for my oil sump. The Akrapovic Ti especially is somewhat “pregnant“ in the way it hangs below the bike. I don’t want to drop $1k on an exhaust for a Scrambler build, and have it hang down excessively. Two Brothers has good clearance, multiple db killer options, and a reasonable price… I’m still undecided.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Und
OK, this is just rambling out loud, this exhaust is the single most expensive item on my project.
And it’s the hardest decision to commit to.
The great debate about how loud I want the bike to be, and how to judge the sound you hear on various YouTube videos. Then, some db killers have a lot more effect than others. Some have a deeper tone, some have a sharp “crackle”…
Some have more dyno proven results, and maps available. And in my odd build, ground clearance is a concern, I’m already building a skid plate for my oil sump. The Akrapovic Ti especially is somewhat “pregnant“ in the way it hangs below the bike. I don’t want to drop $1k on an exhaust for a Scrambler build, and have it hang down excessively. Two Brothers has good clearance, multiple db killer options, and a reasonable price… I’m still undecided.
Undecided is good because there are many possibilities and it is exciting that you are going to do it. I think you need to keep browsing. I'd want you to get the black euro4 sc project, I think it goes best with what you are doing and it has a nice sound. :) but there may be better options.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hord, would recommend whatever provided good dyno numbers. They wouldn’t care about silly things like ground clearance. Absolute power is not top priority for my build.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You can check the scorpion I have, I payed $750 for whole system. theres a video on youtube of how it sounds, [..]

For sure, taste and such a sensory impression can be individual, but

- the OEM exhaust is more than just quiet on full throttle, very good sound design all over the range,

- that aftermarket exhaust sounds like a KTM 390 Duke on dope. In my opinion, nothing close to a mid class twin. Just like very small displacement, open pipe and insanely loud. Still looking for the equivalent value for the 750 bucks...

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Two Brothers offers 2 different db killers, and a spark arrestor option, all cheap, and available.
Doesn’t stick out much.
Low profile bottom, and proven good Dyno results. $595 for the aluminum can. I would mask off the logo, and Cerakote the body…
I’m still undecided…
909BEB34-8CE2-412D-81B0-95C8DD5F98F9.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Promising, got any video on those options? Your fabricating skills will come in handy, it doesn't look great in it's out of the box appearance (logo and finish). It would sure be another unique piece you'd create. Is it worthy of what you've done so far? You've built the most complete, composed bike so far.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Saw this as an option, in your more ideal price range.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hord, would recommend whatever provided good dyno numbers. They wouldn’t care about silly things like ground clearance. Absolute power is not top priority for my build.
Well, considering virtually all exhausts for this engine run about the same level under the bike I'm not seeing much problem with that for cornering clearance. They would also know which pipe would be best there, since they do participate in road racing from what I understand.

If you want more ground clearance for rough terrain I'd have to suggest you take the header money and add some to it to buy a dual sport, if you can. Then you have a bike for each situation. But then that requires some garage space and a bit more money.

One other option if you can do TIG welding or know someone who can, get some tubing and weld up a mid or high pipe. I did it with an SR500. Problem is where the pipes will have to pass - right by your leg and very hot. Does look cool when done though.

The point is Hord knows what they're doing. If you actually contact and talk with them they usually know a lot and are willing to share. You could tell them what you are looking for and see if they have the solutiion. After all, they are known well in the FZ/MT community for their racing from what I've read. Plus as the creators of their air intake system they probably have done more dyno work with it than anyone else and would know what works and how it will perform.

When in doubt talk to those who know. Odds are Hord knows.

·
Registered
2018 XSR700
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, the search is over.
I was still undecided, until I stumblet upon this, on eBay.
Dealer wall demo.
MSRP = $899
eBay = $557 after s/h etc.
I'm having Two Brothers send me a BLACK Logo.
And I will Cerakote the header, all clamps, and fasteners, EVERYTHING that's silver.
With 1,400 degree satin black.
I'm completely confident it will hold up, this is not my first exhaust coating job.
I've been Cerakoting 6-7 years, I've done dozens of firearms, car parts, etc.
I bought the coating weeks ago, this has been my plan all along.
I just wasn't sure what system I would be coating...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts