XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my bike with 1.6k miles on the clock.

At 3k miles, I decided to do an oil and filter change, as well as a general check. This is well before the next service due at 6k miles. The top end was sounding quite clattery when red hot after a good blast, as well.

The oil that came out was horrible :( very thin, and not the cleanest.

I changed it for Motul 5000 10w40 and a K&N filter (no real reason for K&N, it was just good value and I like the logo!) - £34 inc delivery from sportsbikeshop.

What a difference! The top end clatter has quietened right down. I wish I'd dropped the oil as soon as I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Presumably your oil + filter were changed at the 600 miles first service by a main dealer? It does make you wonder whether they used an inferior oil when they refilled it....... or even whether the service was done at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember seeing a service stamp at a low mileage and I'm sure it will have been the 600 mile service.

The oil was thin, like 0w20/0w30 oil is. I wonder if they just chucked any old stuff in!

The book clearly specifies 10w40 which is common-as-muck tractor oil grade ;) although obviously we use a JASO wet-clutch friendly high quality version.

as an engineer, I subscribe to the school of thought i heard years ago: you can never, ever, change your oil too often.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts