XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, last week i realised i had never checked my tyre pressure (ever! in a whole year of owning it) and got a pump so i can adjust it at home
i know the recommended pressure is 33/36 but does anyone use anything else? i do a lot of boring motorway time and think i could probably benefit from something a little higher.
will experiment myself to try and find something, but just wondering if others have any suggestions, like more or less difference between the two, and higher and lower pressure
maybe not just for my boring commute purposes but for any situation, thought it could be good just to have the info out there for people to look through
thanks!

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
Strewth! Tyre pressures will affect your bike's handling more than pretty much anything else - it's worth getting into the habit of doing a quick check before each ride. If not, then do it at least each week.
Long motorway trips will square off your rear tyre fairly quickly. If you run them at higher pressure, you'll accelerate this process. Running at lower pressure will make for poor handling, tyre overheating and poor fuel consumption. So, stick closely to the recommended pressures - they're given for a reason! A couple of PSI either way won't make a huge difference - we're all different weights after all - so experiment to find what feels most comfortable for you. But don't stray too far from those manufacturer guidelines. And keep checking them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strewth! Tyre pressures will affect your bike's handling more than pretty much anything else - it's worth getting into the habit of doing a quick check before each ride. If not, then do it at least each week.
Long motorway trips will square off your rear tyre fairly quickly. If you run them at higher pressure, you'll accelerate this process. Running at lower pressure will make for poor handling, tyre overheating and poor fuel consumption. So, stick closely to the recommended pressures - they're given for a reason! A couple of PSI either way won't make a huge difference - we're all different weights after all - so experiment to find what feels most comfortable for you. But don't stray too far from those manufacturer guidelines. And keep checking them!
ah huh! didn't think about the squaring at all. fortunately i did get the first service earlier this year and they must have adjusted the pressure then since it wasn't catastrophically far off, just... way too low... at least i didn't use it much until very recently
will definitely stick close to the recommended ones while experimenting. i just never thought about tyre pressure until recently! going to make it a regular check now for sure
there may be a minor, stupid, silver lining to wearing my tyres out quickly though, which is that i'll be able to replace them with road 5s sooner 🙃

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
there may be a minor, silver lining to wearing my tyres out quickly though, which is that i'll be able to replace them with road 5s sooner 🙃
Yes, that will be a bonus. You'll certainly notice a difference in handling with PR5s (at least, once you leave the motorway!).

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's always best to stick with the manufacturer's recommendations unless your weight is really low or high compared to the normal rider's weight. I'm on the light side, about 150 lbs. and I find the bike seems to ride just fine at the recommended pressures. You might want to take it easy on the tires when you find out what a new pair costs, plus installation unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, checking your tire pressures should be done when the tires are cold.

But I also stick to 33/36 when I'm on the street, and on track I go to 30/30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts