XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Back on the XSR as my other bike falls fail of the ULEZ requirements. I seem to be having issues with the handling at the moment. I can’t seem to take bends at the same sort of speeds as my older bike which is an old Honda Dominator with Michelin Anakee 3 tyres. Surely the Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp must perform better but apparently not. Taking a sharp right hander at the same sort of speeds as the Dominator and at the same speed as another motorcycle which I was following at a safe distance. Unexpectedly my back wheel kicked out and slipped for a bit, brown trouser moment but soon gripped and I carried on. I suspected that I hit some oil, diesel or some other annoying material.

Later on during the journey I took a left hander and the same thing happened. Rear wheel slid out, not as much as when doing the right hander but still another butt clenching moment I could do without.

No I am not pushing the bike too hard, my balls are not big enough for that. OK it would appear I am pushing too hard for the conditions but don’t understand really how a Sportscomp can perform so bad compared to the Anakee.

Tyre pressures are as per manufactures recommendation. Temperature on clocks was 14 so I would say around 12 as it’s always a little on the high. Dry conditions.

How do you guys find the Sportscomp, should I run lower pressures? Just wait until the weather gets a lot warmer and ride like a newbi for now?

Thanks.

Jamie

·
Registered
50 Posts
wow, strange.

I've got a worn out sportscomp on the back at the moment, it's down to the wear markers in the middle and very squared off. It feels rather numb, and very lethal in cold/wet, but feels ok when up to temperature after a few miles at 12 degC.

Most people say they feel fine to start with, but wear out fast. Mile only have ~4,000 miles on. I have a Pilot Road 4 to replace the rear with, the front feels fine.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
The PR4 is a much better tyre - far more confidence inspiring on corners and they stick firmly to roads in the wet. While the Phantoms are OK (but no more than OK) in dry conditions, they are very much a case of form over function. I don't think you'll find many XSR owners who buy a second set of Phantoms.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Considering how much people complain about the phantom tires, I thought they would be totally useless.
But i dont have one thing to complain about and i ride so the fotpegs scrapes some times.
Not even when its cold i have had an issue.
But in the wet its not that great.
The Dunlops on my XJR1300 was way worse than this tire.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe a dual compound tire is a good answer for durability and safety: hard in the middle so it wears OK and soft on the edges for traction. The Anakee 3 has a "silica-enhanced" compound which it touted to have good grip, while the Phantoms feels like basic hard-ish rubber job which did not impress me...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm on the fence with them. They just feel kind of -squishy- to me. Adjusting the suspension and keeping the tire pressures in check did help quite a bit. I'm 225lbs with gear and I found running 2clicks up from stock (notch 5 from the softest) on the rear suspension works pretty good for me. Tire pressure I keep up at the factory spec of 33psi front 36psi rear. Any lower and it just feels even more squishy and sluggish.
And on a side note, I think the tires look plain stupid lol. I'll probably go with Michelin Road 5's for my next set. But to the original post, you may need to have your suspension adjusted. 1 click up or down can make quite a difference so don't change too much at one time. Also make sure you're measuring cold tire pressure before you ride.
The best advice i have is to check out the book "Total Control" by Lee Parks for some great info. He can explain traction and control much better than I can and it's definitely something to take seriously. Good luck mate!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts