XSR 700 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Trying to convince my girlfriend that riding places on a motorcykle is a great idea!

I prefer se grips the motorcykle, and not me, when riding for safety purpouseses.
When she sits behind me on the XSR700 she finds it difficult to grip the frame because the seat fits so snug next to it.
Can any one recommend some grips or something that I can attach to the frame for the passenger to hold on to?

Thanx!

·
Registered
50 Posts
A Givi rear rack might do what you want.

Let's be honest, there are no safety purposes on a motorbike. Just "hold on tight" and don't accelerate too hard.

If you're not bothered about looks, then you can get these neat handles that bolt onto the tank filler area and she holds them, that's about as safe as I've ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
622 Posts
Hi!
Trying to convince my girlfriend that riding places on a motorcykle is a great idea!
I prefer she grips the motorcykle, and not me, when riding
I've known blokes remove the passenger grab rails so their girlfriend has to grip them instead of their bike!

There's always the strap on the OEM seat, I suppose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
- Bags & Bikes handles, got it, nice to see but too thin for a good grip
- Givi rear rack, got it, ruins the bike but it's effective

other solutions are

- Ventura
- tank grip

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've found these grips japan.webike.net/products/23827522.html that for £74 including delivery will be sent to you.
They look 'minimal' enough and secured as they are bolted underneath the seat.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I believe it to be much safer for a passenger to hold onto you, because anything they grab on creates leverage for them to adjust position contrary to what is needed by the operator. Take that silly looking strap off the seat also, it is useless.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a former pillion-rider, I can say the safest thing for her to do is wrap her arms around you. It might also help her if you tell her to look over one shoulder and perch on the balls of her feet. That’ll help her use her legs a little if you’re going over bumps. No sudden takeoffs, unless you’re sick of her

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree 100 percent with your pillion holding on to you, NOT the motorcycle. First, you'll feel what your rider is doing when they have their arms around you (you can also feel their weight transfer probably) and if their arms are around you, they're not flailing around pointing at stuff. I used to get on my ex-wife's case about throwing her arms out to point at things by the road. On sport bikes that can really throw you off because it doesn't take that much weight out there two feet to the side on the bike to put it off course. Except of Gold Wings or similar bikes, I've never seen a grab rail that was really worth it's weight for safety for the passenger. And that's the responsibility of the one who is controlling the bike, me and you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts